why are they taking so long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why are they taking so long? why are they taking so long?

Unread 05-28-2003, 08:48 PM
why are they taking so long?

Hi: Has anyone had t his problem--- I can't seem to get a pre-op appt so we can get this surgery done. The decision was made and agreed on between myself and my DR two months ago. He sent me for some bladder tests--results are in. I have called the office several times--they never get back with me and seem to want to move this thing forward. I realize I am not his only patient but I really feel like I have been patient. I have told his nurse how uncomfortable I am getting with this giant uterus and its bunch of it is carrying around. I just am getting so discouraged and feel like the time is dragging.

Am I being in too big a hurry? Has anyone else been discouraged waiting for a pre-op appt or castle date?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 08:54 PM

I can honestly say my DR's office did not treat me that way. I had 5 weeks between agreeing with my DR that I'd have a hyst and the actual surgery. The DR's nurse and I compromised on the date over the phone and she scheduled the OR over the internet while we were talking!

Are you sure this is the DR you want to use? If so, I'd go down to the office tomorrow and CAMP in the waiting room until they gave me some answers.
Unread 05-28-2003, 09:43 PM
hmmmm

I never had that problem, my dr wondered why i wanted to wait so long,(but it was up to me) any way, the day I called to schedual, the nurse and I decided on a date, then she schedualed the pre op, the surgery date and the post op all at once,
If it were me, id call , no Id go down and tell her/ them you want to schedual now, or you can find another dr!!!
just the way I would do it!!
Sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2003, 01:20 AM
I feel your pain!!!

I know what you mean! I think it depends on who you go through and what kind of schedule the doc has. I am a military wife and LOL they do it the ARMY way here at fort bragg, which means hurry up and wait. I have had the go for this since April, I wanted it to happen in May, but it didnt, so now I am being promised it will happen in the middle of June. I have my fingers crossed and my toes, too! I am soooo ready for this to go for so many reasons. I keep hoping the last period I had will be my last one. Good luck getting things through, I know that I have pestered the heck out of the OB/GYN dept at our hospital enough that I should send them Christmas cards, if you know what I mean, but I am hoping persistence will pay off. Good luck, and best wishes. I hope you recover speedily and feel like a new person when it is over. Good luck and God speed.
Unread 05-29-2003, 04:29 PM
A date finally!!

I finally have a date! I will be going to the castle on June 25, 2003. The nurse called me today and we set a date. She said she would get back to me on pre-op appt etc. She was very apologetic saying the doctor has been on vacation and very busy with deliveries and other surgeries. I have found throughout this whole ordeal that the office in general is very slow. I do wonder sometimes whether I should be having him perform the surgery. Only problem is--I at least know him--I would have to research and find another doctor--and more time will go by since the #2 doctor will begin the process all over again. This has performed hyster's on other princesses I know--so I do trust him (as much as any of us can trust someone with our lives).

Ever since the nurse and I set the date, I have been having some weird feelings. I am not sure what to call them. I have waited so long for them to call so was focusing on that. It just seems that now that the date is set--the finality of it is starting to set in. It isn't that I don't want the surgery--I guess I am just scared. The next four weeks are going to go by very slowly!

to you all!!
Unread 06-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Wonderful!

I am so glad you have your date. I bet you are having some conflicting emotions right now. I think I will be feeling that way, too, very soon. Right now, I am soooo focused on getting the date set, what needs to be in place in place, it is easier for me emotionally to just think on that level and not any "deeper" ( if you will). I know you will have no problems with your date.. it is a very GOOD day.. my daughter's birthday. She will be 11 on that date. So.. I am happy for you for that reason, shhheeeshhh.... can you tell I am just a bit sentimental, or what would be a better word for that... um.. supersititious ( misspelled I am sure!)
I can't wait for my date... well, maybe.. No! I can't wait! We will do fine. Faith and heart. Family and Love.
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:28 PM

I will be thinking of your daughter DottieParker when I go to surgery on June 25. I am very sentimental also---my father in law's birthday is June 26. So I will be thinking of him also. My DH asked me to wear his dad's wedding ring to surgery. I am going to ask them to tape it on my finger so I can wear it. So you can see--I am very sentimental too.

And scared---at first I was so focused on getting everything in place. Insurance, disability while off work, surgery date, doc appts etc . Now---with most of that all set ---I am finding I am getting more jittery everyday--because I am forced to now focus on what is going to happen. And I am a worry wort anyway! I just keep trying to think positive thoughts--that my life will be better and I won't regret this decision.

I started my last period today--last one forever! I won't miss that or get sentimental about it being gone! LOL

Best of luck to you all---I pray everyday for the princesses that have their castle dates and for all princesses trying to make hard decisions!
Unread 06-02-2003, 10:59 PM
hugs to you...

LOL that is really funny in a way.. you started today? Me too! LOL I keep HOPING this one will be my last! I go to the doc on the 4th and go from there. Argued all day with my insurance company. I tell you what, mine is such a pain on some things. I really had no idea that this would be so difficult to set up, honestly. I understand it is a major thing, but shhheeeshh... you would think I was asking them to have one themselves! I swear I had a much easier time buying my minivan! LOL
Good luck with everything, you seem like a very warm person, and I wish you and all the very best here. We are special in a way, afterall, not everyone has been what we have with our uttys...and not everyone can face the surg. My DD is named Krystin, by the way, don't know why I would include that, but it seemed important. I don't know if I had listed that before. The one thing that really scares me on this~ IF my memory gets any worse, I am going to have to tape a list of things I need done to my forehead. Don't know if I will go on HRT, heard on the news it increases your chances of demensia... did you hear that too? Man.. I have enough of that already! LOL I have rambled on plenty, good luck to you, sister, and you will be in my thoughts. Ohhhh my next appt, the one with the PS is on the 26th! Ironic, eh?
Unread 06-03-2003, 06:58 AM
Still waiting here also

I am still patiently waiting here for a date for surgery. Had my ultrasound and bloodwork over a week ago. My doctor told me to call him after the ultrasound and we would talk about the surgery and date. I did exactly that on Friday and still no phone call back... ack I hate waiting and I want to end these aweful periods the next one which is due real soon... Already getting the migraines and swelling and cramping associated with them,and its not due for another week to 10 days. I also dropped ultrasound pictures off to the doctor last tuesday that the doctor doing the test wanted him to have ASAP. So I dont know what the hang up is. I am getting so frustrated and I am tired of being tired all the time.
I am glad that you finally got a date and at least that part is over with, I am sure that anxiety about the surgery is setting in now but It will be fine and you will get through this with all the hyster sisters here and your families support. Hang in there and I wish you the best and keep us posted.
Unread 06-15-2003, 02:51 AM
Wow....

I hate to hear that your date is taking so long. I understand since it has taken them so long to get me together and we have been playing this back and forth stuff since April. I am with you on that, wanting a date. ONE in STONE. That way, I can TRY to plan the rest of my summer around it. Heck, when you dont have the date, it makes planning anything a real pain in the a** to say the least. I hope that they get you one soon. Personally, I have taken to just pestering the pee out of them until I get what I need. It seems to work, granted the people who annswer the phones just love me, but... hey.. I am not a patient person. AND its not like I am asking them to have one themselves, I just want mine to have a date. I am suppose to get an actual date on the 26th when I talk with my PS. I hope, truely hope, that they weren't kidding when they told me that. Like I said, if they were, I will have them on speed dial and they will learn to know me by voice when I call to pester them daily~ which I am not above. Heck, I have the rest of my life to contend with, all I am asking for is one little date. Surely, somehow~ someway~ they can fill in that blank and make everyone happy... especially the people who answer the phones. LOL. Good luck to you, darlin'. Remember, persistance seems to motivate those who seem unmotivated. Hey, it worked with my insurance company. Now, we will see if it will work with them if they don't set a date. PS: this may be terrible advise....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register