Vaginal Hysterectomy - Think Twice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy - Think Twice Vaginal Hysterectomy - Think Twice

Unread 08-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy - Think Twice

Hi all!

I had laparoscopy last summer to search for endo. While it wasn't as intrusive or intensive as a hyseterectomy, I would imagine the position would be similar. The doctor told me they lean you way back with your legs spread apart and pushed way back and that you would feel sore, tired, achy from that position. And he was right!

The aches and pains did fade after a few days so I didn't experience such prolonged pain as you have.

In my opinion, and I am not a doctor or qualified to give medical advice, I would ask the doctor about gentle back stretches (and hip and leg stretches, too) that won't hurt you to do. Getting those muscles stretched back out and loosened up would most likely help a ton.

I hope you get to feeling 100% soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 12:26 PM

I would think that if you did alot of pilates and stretching exercises prior to surgery that would help which is what I've been doing most of the summer - wouldn't it???

Now I'm scared.....
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:37 PM

The explinations of the position for the TVH is true, I remember them strapping my legs up since I had a spinal in the OR. I think I remember waking up and listening to music and all I saw was a blue sheet when I looked down..LOL Thats all I know. My back is a little sore too but more right after surgery from the spinal, although I did do alot of streched prevously a friend told me to expect back pain.
Hope all gets better with everyone.
Shelia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Honestly...

Honestly...I think the vaginal is much worse than the abdominal due to positioning, but considering that some of the patients that had the abdominal are having back pain - I think it is might be nerve related. So, I am not sure if any amount of exercise would help - BUT...it sure couldn't hurt. I would definately have tried it - if I had known what I know now..
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:39 PM

I had an abdominal incision, so I can't really answer this question. I haven't had any back pain, though I get abdominal twinges, mostly related to bowel stuff. My main problem after surgery was neck pain. I have a bad disk in my neck, and didn't know that you should tell the anesthesiologist if that's the case: they tip your head way back to put the tube down your throat after you're out.

My fibroid was too big for my doctor to feel comfortable with a vaginal approach, but I wanted to keep my cervix, so that requires an abdominal incision anyway. Everybody's different, but I figured if I was going to have pain and scarring, I'd rather have it on my tummy than in my vagina. As it turned out, I had very little pain, though I do have a hard scar that the doctor tells me will eventually soften up.

I was cleared for intercourse last Friday, at 3 1/2 weeks, and have done the deed several times since then. It feels just fine, much better than before, when we had to work around that huge fibroid.
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Well this is a dilemma...lol

My doc knows I have severe arthritis in my back as well as the anesthiologist (sp) and no one even mentioned that they mite hurt my back.

I just went in for surgery on my knee a month and a half ago too so they have to be kinda careful about moving that around also. I guess I wouldnt know if they hurt me during surgery but I sure would later...lol.

They even offered to do me with an epidural and twilight meds but I said just knock me out. If they could have done it just with twilight I would have gone for just that...I swear I didnt feel a thing with my knee surgery.

But I think this time Im better off to be completely out. I dont want to know my knees are over my head. Or that anyone is digging in parts unknown. Would hate to wake up and find a doc with his elbows in me. LOL.

Oh I hope this doesnt make the back pain worse...lol...now you have me worried.
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:43 PM
LOL JanetNC

LOL that made me chuckle Janet.
I think I would would want to be right out as well. Not sure what we might see huh.
Ewwwwww the mind boggles.
Still I could always lay back and think of England
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:51 PM

This thread has my stomach turning and I don't know why. I was even brave enough to go to pelvicfloor.com and did see the pics there but this one - OMG - I'm almost in tears.

I suffer from back pains only when Aunt Flo makes her appearance so hopefully after surgery this won't be an issue. God to go from the fibroid pains to constant back pains?!?

UGH....
Unread 08-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Think Twice

Ladies:

I really wasn't trying to scare anyone. I just think that everyone needs to be informed.

If I had known about the possibility of having long-term back problems, I would have known to mention that I had a few prior problems and could have requested they be extremely careful or most likely would have chosen to do it abdominally.

And after reading the post from KarenSDR about neck pain. I
told my friend to be sure to tell the anesthesiologist about her neck problems. I am sure her doc would never had mentioned that the anesthesiologist tips your head way back to put the tube down your throat after you're out. Hopefully, this tidbit will save her pain later.

I love this site. Thanks to everyone for all input.
Unread 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Hi everybody with back pain....I got to tell you, I cannot imagine any more back pain than I already have because I broke mine in 5 places, including my tailbone in 83 and now arthritis has set in WOW...I do need to let you know that being an X O.R. Tech that you are put into a position where your upper legs are supported and you are defineately riding a horse here, but maybe a few stretches nightly would help with the pain, I really dont think the position would cause you back pain for a real long time, maybe a while but not forever....its amazing how many nerves are connected to the back and female organs..I will be able to share on the 13th of September, TVH, keeping ovaries, if healthy, maybe I will be eating my words....HUGS, Denna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register