Period during surgery? Questions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period during surgery? Questions? Period during surgery? Questions?

Unread 09-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Period during surgery? Questions?

Hello,

I am having a TAH on Tuesday and I just started my period today. I know I can have the surgery, but I have a question I haven't seen on the board before. Is there any bleeding after surgery? I would think the answer is no, but I am just not sure. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2005, 10:16 AM

its not a dumb question at all. It depends on your procedure etc, but most people only experience a little bleeding for the first day or two (panty liner - rather than night time towel stylee) if any at all, and after that - nothing!

Good luck

Chicky :0)
Unread 09-24-2005, 12:47 PM

Thank you for responding. As it gets closer I am just a bundle of nerves with all sorts of questions running through my mind. I was hoping i had had my last period, but I guess aunt flo wanted to come to say good bye! haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2005, 12:51 PM

i know the nerves feeling - i was a wreck; but the waiting was truly the worst bit for me - recovery was a doddle by comparison.
I had toasted my last period farewell with a nice glass of cabernet sauvignon - maybe you should do the same ;0)

Best wishes

Chicky
Unread 09-24-2005, 01:12 PM

I was bleeding heavily when I went in on Monday for surgery. They gave me one of their peripads to hold between my thighs and told me they would remove it in the operating room. Theirs have no adhesive. They also put one of those leak pads under me.

I woke up to no pad, and very little drainage. 4 days out and nada!

I asked, they say it happens a lot. A lot of us are going because we have gusher periods 2 times a month, so the chances of us hitting a surgery date while bleeding are pretty good!

It'll be just fine.
Unread 09-24-2005, 03:19 PM

Same here! I started mine the day before surgery and it was heavy as usual. They gave me a mesh panty and a pad at the hospital which was obviously gone when I woke up. I haven't had a need for one since.
Unread 09-24-2005, 03:33 PM

Hi ladies: That is a very common question here! I too had my period when I went in for my TAH-it is no problem at all. I went in with a pad on and when I changed into my gown they had me put on of their pad between my legs while I waited to go into surgery. They did the same thing when I was post-puncture. No worries. I was a bundle of nerves myself for the weeks leading to my TAH. I wish you much luck and a speedy recovery. And know that you are not alone. This website is a wonderful thing and we are all here for you.
Unread 09-24-2005, 06:34 PM

They told me at pre-op that the first time I stood up after surgery there would probably be some blood gushing out. It's just surgery blood and they told me not to be alarmed. I did have a big gush but after that there was very little bleeding. I haven't seen any more blood since 3 days post-op.
Unread 09-24-2005, 09:18 PM

You guys are great! I always feel more calm after being on this site. Your mind just gets carried away. I can agree that the waiting is the worst! If it only gets better then I will be fine. Thanks again!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register