Thermal Balloon Ablation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thermal Balloon Ablation Thermal Balloon Ablation

Unread 11-17-2001, 11:27 AM
Thermal Balloon Ablation

Hi:

I haven't written in awhile, and just wanted to let you know I went ahead with the thermal balloon ablation. I had it done on Thursday 11/15.

So far recovery has been fine, except for the bladder pain immediately after surgery, and still feel alittle nauseated.

Will let you know how I make out as the weeks go on.

Anna
Thermal Balloon Ablation 11/15/01
Estrogen Dominant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2001, 02:21 PM
Thermal Balloon Ablation

Hi Anna,

Glad you're doing okay. Hope it works and makes your life a whole lot better! Thanks for letting us know.
Unread 11-30-2001, 03:06 AM
Thermal Balloon Ablation

Hi Anna:

I had this done on 11-2-01 and I got my peiod and it seems to have slowed down a bit, no clotting so far. I was a little bummed, because I was hoping that it would stop my period totally. But I'm happy that it's not the raging river it used to be, laugh out loud. Do you have to take iron supplements? I was diagnosis anemic, that's why my doctor did the surgery. Please e-mail me back gidget400@hotmail.com, so we can compare notes. I have no one to visit with about this whole ordeal. I feel like you and I could relate. As far as the bladder pain goes, did you get any antiobiotic's for that? That works great! You will start to feel better. I'm so tired today from my period, wish that would go away.

Stuggling,

Gidget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2001, 08:23 PM
Balloon Ablation

Hello Anna,

I was about to put a post up about ablation when I saw yours. My doctor has suggested this to me instead of hysterectomy due to my age. (28) I've been having extra bleeding each month, usually my period ends up being 2- 2 1/2 weeks per month. It's been this way for the past 3 years. Have also had a bad pap which the Dr. will redo soon. Female problems and various female cancers run in my family. My question to you and anyone who would like to answer is do you think the ablation was worth it? My Dr. is telling me that most women don't have a period at all or only have light spotting. This doesn't sound like the case for you from what you've written. Also, why did you have the bladder pain? Is this normal with an ablation? I'm excited about the possiblility an ablation offers without all of the hormonal side effects of the pill ( which was one of my other options, ugh!!) but a little hesitant due to the fact that I've read alot of women still eventually have to have a hysterectomy. Did your dr tell you anything about the chances of it not working? If you feel like replying I'd really love to hear from someone who's been there and done that. Thanks and I hope you're feeling and doing great now!
Unread 12-04-2001, 06:40 AM
RE: Thermal Balloon Ablation

Hi Tammy:

I had my Thermal Balloon Ablation done about three weeks ago.

It's true that I had bladder pain after the ablation, this doesn't always happen, my bladder has dropped, so it must have gotten shook up during the procedure, I was fine once I eliminated, but couldn't until I got home.

I was mostly sick from the pain med's I only have had toradol but they also gave me Morphine and Percocette, which I have never had before, I think I would have been fine if they hadn't given me all that.

What I really needed was an anti-spasmodic for the bladder, since I think the pain in the bladder was due to the spasming.

There is a website for women that are considering or have had a balloon ablation.

It's "endometrial discussion board", you need to join ezboards, which is free, it's a great way to learn about endometrial ablations.

Have you had a D & C yet, or an MRI, there are some problems that this procedure doesn't work for..like small fibroids or polyps, depending on where they are. Have you had a hysterscope done yet?

It is true that some women have to have a hysterectomy a few years out..but I personally think that depends on what was happening and how old you were when the procedure was done.

For me, my main problem is that I am not producing progesterone, if I don't balance the estrogen I am producing, this procedure will be for naught within a year..as the endometrial lining will continue to thicken again..I cannot take the synthetic progestins as I cannot handle the side effects.

The procedure also seems to work better for women that are closer to menopause..which makes sense.

Check out the discussion group, and let me know how you make out!

E-mail me anytime anmr2@yahoo.com

Anna
Hysterscope D & C 9/04/01 estrogen dominant, or low progesterone
TBA 11/15/01

PS I am feeling much much better, some of it is psychological I believe, since I am not worrying about how heavy my bleeding will be or if I am going to get it again within 15 days!!
Still have those PMS symptoms, but not nearly as bad!!
Unread 12-04-2001, 07:00 AM
to TAR29...

Hi Tammy,

I tried thermal ablation two years before my hyst. I was very comfortable during the procedure, and was thrilled to have very light periods for the next two years. However, after two years, the major bleeding returned. An ultrasound showed that fibroids developed, and I couldn't have a repeat ablation, so I reluctantly had a hysterectomy.

I just wanted to say that even though I tried ablation and didn't get long-term relief, it is my understanding that many women do. Also, a hysterectomy is a MAJOR surgery with some inherent risks, and at your age, you may want to consider trying less drastic alternatives before going that route. I know I'm glad I did!

I hope you make the best decision for yourself, Tammy.

My very best to you...
Unread 12-04-2001, 08:09 AM
Hello

I had an endometrial ablation in January of 2001 and had my hysterctomy in September of 2001. I had horrible clotting and bled for 10 to 14 days. After my ablation initially the length of my periods shortened, but the clotting came back full force. I am 35 years young and had enough of bleeding and not being able to swim, enjoy life. My Dr thought that I was the perfect candidate for the procedure, and was surprised that it did not work. From the research I have done the closer the you are to menopause the better the Ablation works. I to was disappointed when the procedure did not work. I have a freind who had one and has not bled since and that has been 5 years. My PMS symptoms also increased.

Each woman has to make up her own mind.I am glad that I tried the procedure.Had it worked it would have been wonderful. I am more thrilled with my hysterctomy and recovery as I know I will never bleed again. I sure hope that your procedure is a total success. Keep us posted on what happens and how you are doing.

Unread 12-04-2001, 03:36 PM
Thermal Balloon Ablation

Thanks, Anna and all of you kind ladies who replied. My doctor has not even suggested doing an MRI or hysteroscope or D&C. Maybe because he thinks my problems are tied in with the fact that I had a tubal ligation. My sister went through the exact same thing at about the same time after her tubal and we both had regular periods before that. I don't know why for sure that he hasn't suggested the other procedures but I will ask him and see if they are an option for me. Thanks for all of your great advice and input of your experiences and also for the website recommendation. I plan to visit the site tonight. I'll keep you posted when I find more out. Take care ladies!
Unread 12-23-2001, 11:21 AM
Update on thermal balloon ablation

Hello again ladies! Just wanted to let you know I had my ablation done on Friday the 21st along with a D&C and hysteroscope. It went very well. My GYN thought that my extra bleeding every month could have been caused by the extra thick uterine lining that he discovered during my procedure. Anyway, so far so good. I didn't have alot of pain. Only a couple of hours of cramping equal to a heavy period cramp. That was probably a little bit my fault because I don't care for pain meds and therefore only took the Ibuprofen that was prescribed for me and didn't take the percocette or vicaden that was also given to me. I've really experienced minimal pain though and would definitely do this again, as of now. I guess it's 'wait and see how it turns out time now' but I'm thinking positive thoughts and hopeful for the success of this procedure. Also, for anyone considering ablation, they can do an epidural instead of general anesthesia if you ask for it. I've had bad experiences with general in the past ( waking up in a fog and really not wanting to wake up for a few hours, and when I do usually throwing up -not fun!!) so I asked for the epidural. The anesthesist gave me something to make me sleep before he gave me the epidural and I don't even remember getting it. It's not as strong an epidural as you have when having a baby and therefore the effects were not nearly as long lasting. I woke up toward the end of my operation and didn't feel any pain but could move my legs within just minutes of waking up and was ready to get dressed and go home within an hour or so. I really feel like this was one of the best post-op times I've ever had and would recommend this to anyone who doesn't like general anesthesia. You're also able to go ahead and eat the night of your procedure with this and you wouldn't get to with general. I still kept my meal fairly light though - just in case my easy stomach gave me trouble. Anyway! Best of luck to anyone who tries ablation! Hope your procedure is as easy as mine was!

Balloon Therapy Ablation on 12/21/01
Unread 12-24-2001, 07:39 AM
Welcome back

Tammy I am so glad that your procedure went well. I had absolutley no problems recovering from my ablation, that is what makes the procedure so wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets hope that you are a success case. Wouldn't that be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care and Merry Christmas

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register