scared - surgery date moved up! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared -  surgery date moved up! scared - surgery date moved up!

Unread 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM
scared - surgery date moved up!

OMG they have brought my surgery forward to july 1st! it was gonna be on 9th sept and i got used to the idea, but now its just round the corner, my pre op is on wednesday 1st June, what happens at the pre op appointment ? Do i take anyone with me ? How many ppl can i take to the op ? Can anyone advise me on what i have to do up 2 the run of the op! what will i need to take, clothes, medication ect....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Re: scared - surgery date moved up!

I just got a letter from my doctors office in regards to my preop the 28 of June. It says for me to report to my DR office to meet with scheduling nurse to go over my DRs recomendations, and to answer any of my concerns and questions. They will give me preop and post op instructions and inform me of what all is going to happen at surgery.

Then I am to report to a pre admission office by the hospital an hour later. It says for me to be prepared to be at the pre-admission for about an hour to have bloodwork, chest xray, EKG, and to give complete medical history. It also says I will meet with a nurse from the anesthesiologist team to go over any concerns etc and to inform me of how they will manage putting me under etc. Im not taking anyone to pre-op with me.

I dont thin how many people go to the hospital with you for surgery matters, but they will be sent to a waiting room. No one is going to be admitted to go to the OR with you.

Im packing pretty light, as I shouldnt be in hospital over 24 hours. Im taking my daily medications just in case I need them, some gas X, lotion, lip balm, mints, insurance and debit cards and my laptop. Im just going to wear the same clothes home that I go in, since Ill only have them on about an hour the day Im admitted.
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM

wow your going to have it done all in 1 day, are u fully ready for this op ? When i went for my scan in march and they found my fibroid which was quite big they told me id been in *** for about 3/4 days. I also read on here that its a good idea to take a pillow for your tummy after op.. Do u think i should start taking gas -x now ? sorry not sure on what all your abriviations are that you used to explain to me what was aid in your letter How long have you been waiting for this op if you dont mind me asking .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Yes, Im completely ready. Nervous, but ready to get it over with. I wasnt thrilled to wait so long (7 weeks), but its the best they could do. I started the process the end of April, and finally got scheduled two weeks ago. I'll do all my pre-op stuff on June 28, and then I have to be at the hospital for surgery at 530am July 5. Our July 4 holiday is going to bite this year LOL I traditionally travel 2 hours away to my moms for a cookout and to go watch fireworks on the lake, but this year I'll be at home sipping broth and making frequent visits to the toilet. :-/
Im going to send my kids down to stay the week, so they wont miss out.

Which type surgery are you having? A friend of mine told me if I requested a abdominal binder at hopistal it would eliminate the need for a pillow (Im having the davinci robotic surgery). I did have to have a pillow when I had my csections though.

I dont think it would do any good to start taking gasx now. Just have it on hand for after surgery.

An ekg is the little strips they stick to your chest, and monitor your heart rhythm to make sure you are healthy enough for surgery.
OR is operating room.
and ETC just means "and so on" -its not a medical term.
Unread 05-28-2011, 02:13 AM

Hi, you do sound totally ready good for. I've got my pre op on 1st june then the op on 1st july I've had to wait 13wks its the waiting that is bad for me I just won't to get it over and done with now. I'm having LAVH it might be key hole but they say cos its so big it will be open surgery. I feel so fat and pregnant I look 24 wks. Can't eat much cos I get to full up so quick which makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm am going to take a pillow cos ppl say it really hepls. Its such a shame you can't have your normal hol but at least you will get loads of rest while the kids are away. I've got 4 girls so I know ill have plenty of help. Its gonna kill me just sitting around doing nothing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register