Nausea | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Nausea

Does anyone else get nausea from pain meds and anasthesia. Everything makes me throw up! I know pain meds are important part of recovery but I can't imagine throwing up after this surgery!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Re: Nausea

I get like that. You can ask for an anti-nausea medication to help.

Definitely let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know about this.
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM

I get motion sickness really bad! I have to drive or I'll throw up. I actually had a nurse anesthetist who put a scopolamine patch behind my ear, it stayed there till I was discharged the next day. I made my mouth really really really dry so I was either eating ice chips or sipping water all night......to me that was better the nausea any time. The supervising anesthesiologist did not seem to concerned about my history of nausea. Not sure if it was because he was not the one who was really taking care of me or if he didn't care. Anyway I had no problem with nausea and even asked to keep that patch on for the ride home.....and didn't get sick then either. There is also a med called zofran that a friend had for morning sickness ......she got it by IV in the ER and then a pill that dissolved under her tongue.
I will also mention to you that main meds can cause constipation ........I didn't believe this. After three days of not pooping I was sooo sick to my stomach and had such cramps. So even if you are only taking liquids take the stool softener with the pain pill. If I had it to do over again that would be the only thing I would change
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydogtails View Post
I actually had a nurse anesthetist who put a scopolamine patch behind my ear, it stayed there till I was discharged the next day.
If they use the scopolamine patch be aware that it can blur your vision by dilating your pupils. This is a side effect that has caused many sisters to momentarily freak out. Better to know beforehand that it might happen.

I prefer Zofran. I use it when I get a migraine. It doesn't cause any sleepiness or blurred vision weirdness. And, it hasn't interacted with any pain medications I've used it with.

Your mileage may vary and I am not a medical professional.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register