Too good to be true???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too good to be true???? Too good to be true????

Unread 05-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Too good to be true????

I have my hysterectomy scheduled for June 18th and I am a nervous reck! I am going to be driving 2 hours to have the surgery done by a doctor that I was referred to up in Washington D.C. Had my appt. with him on Tuesday and he said 80% of his patients are discharged the same day. I will be able to drive the day after my surgery and I should be able to go back to work 7-10 after my procedure...... I clean houses for a living and i can't imagine that its going to be this easy. He is doing a laproscopic hysterectomy. I have a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe. Has anyone heard of it being this easy???? I have heard good things about this doctor, but I am not sure if this all sounds right?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Re: Too good to be true????

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am 10 days post hysterectomy and bladder repair and I am amazed at how good I feel, but also how easily I run out of steam. I am good to myself and rest and eat right and at the end of the day I am out cold I am so tired. I hope someone is picking you up after your surgery. You need to pamper yourself at this time.
Unread 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Hmm...that sounds really odd to me...being discharged the same day and being able to drive the next day? I really don't think so nor do I think that is a good idea at all. Perhaps some of the post-op sisters will be able to comment on their personal experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Hi scooter! Does your doctor know what you do for a living? It seems abit of a contradiction given that we aren't supposed to lift much, and in particular vacuum....I am just over two weeks out from having an LSH. My fibroid was approximately the same size as yours, and I started doing very light cleaning at about 7 days, and I admittedly did little bits of vacuuming, slowly, without lifting the vacuum (I had my DH move the vacuum to different levels in the ouse before he went to work each morning)...BUT, I felt it and had to really watch that I didn't do too much pulling or twisting....I can't fathom the notion of doing it all day that soon out, OR driving the day after surgery (fine unless you need to shoulder check!! Ouch!).

I can TOTALLY relate to wanting to get back to normal as soon as possible, especially when we all need to make money. I know that we all heal differently... but I will reiterate what I have heard so many times and learned the hard way: you only have one chance to heal right the first time, and it is way harder to heal well if you set yourself backwards from doing too much too soon. PLEASE take care and try to make arrangements to ease back into things...is it possible to start by taking one job/day to see how it goes? It's one thing to clean at home for ourselves, but another to do the hard physical work that you do plus driving.

PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1972 View Post
I have my hysterectomy scheduled for June 18th and I am a nervous reck! I am going to be driving 2 hours to have the surgery done by a doctor that I was referred to up in Washington D.C. Had my appt. with him on Tuesday and he said 80% of his patients are discharged the same day. I will be able to drive the day after my surgery and I should be able to go back to work 7-10 after my procedure...... I clean houses for a living and i can't imagine that its going to be this easy. He is doing a laproscopic hysterectomy. I have a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe. Has anyone heard of it being this easy???? I have heard good things about this doctor, but I am not sure if this all sounds right?!?
Everyone is different in how they heal and your Dr knows best but that all sounds a little soon to me. I had a LSH 3 wks ago and I am still not driving yet. Tried to drive 2 days ago and ended up back on the sofa with pain. I was also told no lifting and no vaccuming for 6 wks. I would think a housekeeping job would be very hard on your recovery. I would plan on taking at least 4-6wks to recover and if you are better sooner then great but it is never fun to go back too soon and then have problems.
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Thanks for your responses..... I had told the doctor what I had done for a living and he still says 7-10 days. I am staying at a hotel by the hospital when they discharge me, I can not imagine sitting in a car for 2 hours after just having a hysterectomy. He siad the only pain meds I will be sent home with is perocet and ibuprophen. I am gonna hope for the best but in the back of my mind I am getting prepared for the worst.
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM

wow, I am amazed at his advice, Is he using the davinci? and is it Lap assisted vaginal or what?
I have heard of people getting discharged the same day.
What kind of anesthesia are you having? I thought the driving restrictions were because of that too. Be careful driving if you have to take the percoset!

i could not have gone back to work in 10 days, that would have set me back weeks.
I very lightly vacuumed at 4 weeks, and took a lot of naps!!!!
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:20 PM

It is a lap assisted vaginal. I am not sure of the kind of anestesia....Obviously I won't be driving especially if I am taking percocet. This is obviously making me think that this doctor is full of *%^$. It is not a regular lap, he described it as " Advanced" so its a quicker recovery time but I just can't see how I will be back to work after a week to ten days...... He said he is the only one on the east coast that does this procedure and people come from all over. I will believe it when i see it I guess.
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM

well, definitely come back and tell us!

Maybe we will all have to be jealous when you are back in the saddle so quick!!

I HAVE read about people getting back to work fairly quickly and the dr's that do davinci say 2 weeks, sooooooo

Good luck and let us know!!
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM

I will definitely let you know! I have put this off for 4 years and obviously the fibroid had grown alot!! The 3 doctors I saw within the last month all said. We can not do a lap hyst on you because of the size of my uterus/ fibroid. The thought of being cut open was not what I wanted. So they referred me to this doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register