Need some advice. Thanks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need some advice. Thanks Need some advice. Thanks

Unread 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Need some advice. Thanks

Hi I am 50 yr old diagnosed with fibroids over 6 years ago during a routine check up. Adopted a watch and wait approach. Last year the fibroids had grown and some were sub serosal, the larger ones are pedunculated. There is also a focal area of cystic changes. I also have a left ovarian cyst. FSH & LH are within post menopausal range. I have seen 3 consultants within the past 18 months and they all recommend a hysterectomy which I will have. Now I need to decide if I have a total hysterectomy including my ovaries and cervix. Any comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Re: Need some advice. Thanks

I am 39, had a large cyst on my right ovary, adenomyosis, and a rapidly changing fibroid. My Dr took the "if it isn't broke don't take it" approach. My left ovary and cervix showed no need for removal. Mine was abdominal for a couple of reasons. Talk to your Dr about your options.
Unread 12-18-2011, 02:35 PM

My GYN had same approach and left them because they are healthy. He did say that he would take them if they were not. He says I am not close to menopause so that is why I was happy they stay not to meddle with nature any more than necessary I guess. My issue was fibroids too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Hi Tomy59

Talk to your surgeon about your surgical options with advantages (benefits) and disadvantages, then make your decision, think about your current situation and your future. I had cervix and Left ovary and tube removed, I too did watch and wait (2years), but did ask that he removed only what needed to be removed at pre op assessment. In my case did more waiting than watching. Good luck and wish you the best in whatever you decide.
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:07 PM

I really wrestled with the same decision four years ago...take them or leave them. I did some research and found out that the ovaries DO provide quite a bit of protective function in the body, even after menopause, particularly for our hearts. I was 49, almost 50 at the time and even though menopause was around the corner, I really wanted to do it naturally rather than surgically. I told my doctor if they looked OK to leave them alone; he even took pictures of them for fun. I don't regret my decision at all. Although there is still a cancer risk because the ovaries are still in me, I do not have a history of cancer in my family to begin with, am aware of potential symptoms of ovarian cancer, and get regular gynocological exams.
Kim
LSH 6/2007
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I had 2 first cousins both died one from ovarian cancer the other from cervical cancer. Both were under 50. I realise that they are not immediate family. I will talk to my consultant again.Decisions Decisions Aah!
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy59 View Post
Hi I am 50 yr old diagnosed with fibroids over 6 years ago during a routine check up. Adopted a watch and wait approach. Last year the fibroids had grown and some were sub serosal, the larger ones are pedunculated. There is also a focal area of cystic changes. I also have a left ovarian cyst. FSH & LH are within post menopausal range. I have seen 3 consultants within the past 18 months and they all recommend a hysterectomy which I will have. Now I need to decide if I have a total hysterectomy including my ovaries and cervix. Any comments would be appreciated.
I had a clean sweep and have to say I feel fantastic 2 weeks after surgery. We have quite a bit of cancer in our family and I was not prepared to go through it all again 5 or 10 years down the track if they suddenly said 'oh sorry, should have taken the ovaries'. Another factor I was told that if you have your ovaries removed your chance of breast cancer is reduced by about 50%. It is early days for me but I am so happy and relieved that I am out the other side, no longer have to worry about my ticking time bomb ovaries or pap smears ever ever again. I can wear white pants and waggle my rear end everywhere..lol.. Good luck with your decision, I feel great..
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks Netmeffa for your response. I know I would keep worrying if I decided to leave the ovaries and cervix in. Also I was not aware of the decrease in breast cancer by having the ovaries removed. Unfortunately I also have multiple bilateral breast cysts so that is something to consider too. Good luck with your recovery.
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy59 View Post
Thanks Netmeffa for your response. I know I would keep worrying if I decided to leave the ovaries and cervix in. Also I was not aware of the decrease in breast cancer by having the ovaries removed. Unfortunately I also have multiple bilateral breast cysts so that is something to consider too. Good luck with your recovery.
My young neice has just tested positive to the cancer gene which is a worry as she is 14 weeks pregnant. With consultation she has decided that she will be having her ovaries and tubes out when she is 40 years old, after her family is complete. They have told her this will reduce breast cancer for her by 50% also. It is such a relief for me o have them gone. Goodluck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register