SO glad I went with hyster over UAE! Complicated TAH SO much wrong in there! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SO glad I went with hyster over UAE! Complicated TAH SO much wrong in there! SO glad I went with hyster over UAE! Complicated TAH SO much wrong in there!

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM
SO glad I went with hyster over UAE! Complicated TAH SO much wrong in there!

I had a TAH on the 16th. A week ago today. This was my 6th abdominal surgery. My 5th was a c-section after a failed VBAC. My uterus ruptured. 10 day traumatic hospital stay.

I knew going into it I had a large fibroid with an excellent blood supply. I was considered a good candidate for UAE. However, I just never felt like that was the way to go. I also knew that laparoscopic surgery was risky to even try because of the likelihood of adhesions causing issues. My amazing doctor felt the same.

While a cyst did show up on an U\S it showed fluid...NOT the fact that it was an endometrioma within the ovary itself...big ole chocolate cyst dripping blood 24\7. No wonder I have had that left sided pain every single day for the last year or two. Nice to have validation. So left ovary had to go. Right ovary was perfect thank goodness! Thats all I need to produce all the hormones I need. So ladies...an U\S doesnt always tell the story correctly. This is a state of the art facility and an amazing physician that I have too.

I have had a about a billion UTIs over the last two years. Well come to find out my bladder was completely adhered to my uterus and had to be peeled off! And...as she said, "it was no where near where it was supposed to be."

She said of the uterus..."Your uterus was a complete mess. You had LOTS of adhesions. It was quite impressive. I dont get to see that many that often."
So for me overwhelmingly the right decision. It left me reeling thinking about "What if I had done the UAE?"

I am recovering well. Left side is ticked off, but that is understood. I am having to self cath because my bladder has not kicked back in yet. I react that way to general anesthesia very often. Add to that the involvement with the bladder in surgery and thats understandable. I go back to the doctor on Friday. Here's to hoping I dont get a UTI!
Just needed to tell my story I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Re: SO glad I went with hyster over UAE! Complicated TAH SO much wrong in there!

You sound great though! I remember you were struggling a bit preop, so it's great to hear from you know and know that everything was for the better. I hope your recovery continues to go well and that in a few weeks you are up and around and feeling fantastic!
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Re: SO glad I went with hyster over UAE! Complicated TAH SO much wrong in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFinSC View Post
You sound great though! I remember you were struggling a bit preop, so it's great to hear from you know and know that everything was for the better. I hope your recovery continues to go well and that in a few weeks you are up and around and feeling fantastic!
Thanks! All things considered it is great. Yes I was struggling BIG time pre op. This was a very hard decision for me..especially emotionally and psychologically. Even the doctor was a big surprised at all the mess she found. Its just nice to know I made the right decision....also to have validation even though I knew what \ and how I felt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Sounds like you made a good decision!!! Hope your recovery is uneventful!!! Take care of yourself and rest, you deserve it after all that.
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM

Thanks! I am eternally thankful for my doctor in all of this...and thankful I made the right decisions. Unfortunately I think Im developing a UTI...but all things considered...its all good

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register