Scared to schedule this! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to schedule this! Scared to schedule this!

Unread 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Scared to schedule this!

I've been reading here for a couple days now, posting here and there. Everyone is so kind and caring and I am so glad I decided to become a member.

The new OB/GYN I found has been a Godsend. He listened to me for a good half hour of my appointment (I have had to previous OB/GYNs who have treated me horribly and both dismissed my pain as "being in my head.") It's in my intro.

Anyways, I went in seeing this new doc (at the recommendation of a friend) armed with the history of my surgeries, my last ultrasound report (which the doctor who ordered it NEVER called me with the results although I called him three times )

He explained the report to me, and asked me about the pain I have in regards to the fibroids and my cycle pain.

I had the NovaSure ablation and he was able to tell me right then and there that the pain I am feeling is due to scar tissue FROM the ablation.

I cried. He said "I'm not telling you good news." I said, "You ARE because now I KNOW why I have such horrible pain."

At any rate, he felt that just removing the fibroids would not alleviate the pain and said an LAVH would be a good option, leaving the ovaries and removing the cervix.

I KNOW this is the best for me. I am just scared to schedule the proceedure.

Sorry for the loooooong post. Just thinking out loud I guess. I don't know anyone IRL who has had a hysterectomy, so this is my only sounding board.

XXOO
Jess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Scared to schedule this!

Jess:

I can totally understand what you are going through. My GYN of 8 years who I trust & respect so much brought up the option of a hysterectomy over a year ago since I have had soooo many issues over the last 20 years. He never tried to push me into it, just threw it out there as a potential option. At the time I wanted nothing to do with it, I just wasn't ready, so I buried my head in the sand & ignored it.

I became a member of this site in February 2007 but never posted because of my uncertainty of my decision, but did read A LOT about the different procedures (hysterectomies, myomectomies, ablation, etc...) over the following months my symptoms continued to get worse even after trying different medication options. About 6-8 weeks ago the pain became unbearable & I knew that it was time to really come up with a plan or continue to suffer as I had been for so long.

I had a nice long meeting with him about what I wanted to do, I was 100% ready for the hysterectomy. It was scary to finally make a plan to go ahead with it, but the pros far out weigh the cons & I was ready to take my life back from my fibroids, uterus, endometriosis & all of the dysfunctional bleeding they had caused me. the date origianlly given to me was April 22, about 4 weeks from our converstion in his office. For some reason that seemed way too soon in my head, so he allowed me to basically choose the date, which I did for May 6th. I guess that I just needed that extra 2 weeks. Once I chose the date & we decided that the LAVH would be the best for me, I felt such relief & for once totally at peace with my decision.

I can't explain why, I guess because he allowed me to chose my date gave me some sort of ownershup & I felt empowered.

I won't sugarcoat it & tell you that it has been easy on me. I am an emotional wreck at times, the waiting truly is the hardest part because so much goes through your mind. At times I feel nervous, anxious, angry, sad & excited all at the same time, but I am so ready to put an end to this pain!

Like you, I knew it was the best thing for me, it was just taking that step & actually scheduling it that was my biggest hurdle. You will know in your heart when that time will be for you, I am confident of that. I literally woke up in the middle of the night like a light bulb had gone off & I just knew that it was time. I e-mailed my GYN's office manager at about 4am begging for an appointment to discuss it all.

I don't know if my long winded response has helped you in any way, but I do hope so. Best of luck with your decision, you know that I & every other woman on this board will be here to support you!

-Kara

p.s. I live in Northern Virginia, but grew up in Va Beach, that is where my family is. As a matter of fact my mother will be driving up here for my surgery then will be taking me back "home" with her to VB for a couple of weeks for my recovery so I can be with my family. What area do you live in down there if you don't mind me asking. I went to Kempsville High.
Unread 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Scared to schedule this!

Hi Jess,

I remember being in your shoes. Like Kara I delayed the scheduling & went through my own little "put this off" period. My gyn was awesome & let me set the pace. When I finally told her I was ready to be done, she was right on it. Everyone is right when they say the waiting is the hardest part. I was a mess one day, fine on others. I second guessed my decision many times. Now, one year post-op, I can honestly say my hys. is one of the best things I've done for myself! I didn't realize how much my quality of life had deteriorated. I feel 10 years younger now! I had a LAVH like has been suggested for you & everything went wonderfully. I'd do it all over again to feel like I do today!

Best wishes to both of you!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Dear Scared To Schedule This

Reading your experience was good for me. I too, am feeling a lot of what you are. Originally, my surgery was scheduled for June. But the waiting and anxiety was really getting to me. All kinds of thoughts going through my mind; one of being very scared.

I was also able to choose my date and I opted for May 19th. I am happy with my decision and am anxiously awaiting getting through this and starting to feel better.

I won't miss the pain, heavy, heavy bleeding and just plain not feeling well most of the time. Thank you for sharing. I wish you the best and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Meme77
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Scared to schedule this!

Hey all!

Been away for a few days...thinking things over, trying to figure out the "right time" to schedule the LAVH.

I looked at my schedule and my DH's schedule and decided tenatively on June 5th. I have to call later and go ahead and schedule it.

Isn't ridiculous that I am so worried about what my supervisor will think of me being out of work for 3 to 4 weeks? I told her I needed to have the surgery but was unsure when I was having it. We have some majoring scheduling issues, but I guess that should be the least of my concerns, right?

Kara!! Your surgery is coming up SOON! You are in my thoughts and prayers and I want to hear how it goes! I'm not originally from Virginia Beach, I'm a transplant from the Midwest! Live in the Pembroke area.

Sue! Thanks for sharing your story, it eases my anxiety. And Meme! Best of luck and prayers for you as well.

XXOOXX
Jess
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Scared to schedule this!

Jess:

I will absolutely keep you posted about how it goes & hopefully how GREAT I will be feeling post op!!! My date is finally coming & believe me I am counting down the days! I ca't wait!!!! I was so scared to go tp my management team about my surgery, but much to my surprise they were incredibly supportive! hat was a major concern of mine too, but once it was out & they understood what I needed to do they were great! My anxietyeases every day. I am still an emotional wreck on some days but I think that is to be expected. I am so ready for this!

What a small world....my very first job was at Pembroke mall about a zillion years agoat the Chick-Fil-A there, then I moved to the record store. I don't know if it is still there, it changednames so much, it may be called FYE now.

Thank you Sue & meme for your stories, I look forward to chatting in the post-op section with all of you! Please keep me posted as to how everything s going during your waiting period, the waiting is the hardest part, but you'll get there!

Best of luck & lots of love to all, Jess & Meme you will both be in my thoughts & prayers as well!!

Kara
Unread 04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Scared to schedule this!

Hey Jess,

same thing here. I had an LAVH on 4/17/08 and I would do it all over again.
I feel Great.For me this was the best decision I ever made.This surg. by far is the easiest one I have ever had.By the end of the first week I could hardly tell I just had surg. I pray everything goes as easy for you.

mary
Unread 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Scared to schedule this!

Hi Mary,

Did you elect to be put to sleep or did you have the spinal block. I know I don't want to see anything going on but I am still a bit scared about the going to sleep this as I had a bad experience a long time ago. I know there is so much new technology but still, I have the scare. I am scheduled for my Hysterectomy on May 19th and it will be like having a C-section. My Doctor will be re-opening my original incision.

Meme77
Unread 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Scared to schedule this!

I have had 4 c-section and with them I had a spinal block they put up a sheet so you can't see anything also had back pain for about 6wks. after and got sick to my tummy. With the LAVH I was knocked out I liked that alot better because I had no side effects.You need to do what you think is best for you for me Knock me out lol.Will keep you in my prayers.Good Luck

mary
LAVH 4/17/08
endometriosis removed cervix
keep ovaries
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Scared to schedule this!

Well, I am scheduled for June 5th.

I just got all the information in the mail yesterday. My husband read it all as well. He's so very good to me and wants to be as informed as I. He always says over and over he wishes he could take the pain away. I'm very blessed to have him while I go through this.

Anyways, I know this is for the best. The pain is far too much to handle anymore.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register