Scheduled LSH Cervix No Cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix No Cervix Cervix No Cervix

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Cervix No Cervix

I've never been so confused about a decision in my life. Do I leave my cervix or not?! My doctor just keeps saying it's totally your choice, but with all the information supporting both sides how do you make the best decision? Possible prolapse and loss of sex drive or continued mini periods and possible cevical cancer, what kind of decisions are these? I'm 59 and having a da Vinci hysterectomy because of heavy bleeding from fibroids. I had one bad pap many, many years ago, but everything has been fine since. Is there anyone around my age with a similar sitiation that can give me advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Re: Cervix No Cervix

Well, for me it was no decision at all - I had a very severe prolapse so my cervix was already trying to remove itself. Relying on it to somehow hold everything up after the uterus was removed would have been ridiculous. I had my entire uterus, including cervix, removed almost ten years ago and have not regretted the loss of cervix. (I had never had a bad pap.)

The cervix is not associated at all with sex drive, which is a function of ovarian hormones. Your profile shows that you are having your ovaries removed, so you are already going to have that as a possibility. Many of us are able to balance our HRTs so that loss of libido is not an issue, but not everyone is successful at that.

The cervix is related, for some women, to sexual response, however. Most women find sex is the same or better after a total hysterectomy, assuming their hormones are OK; however, if you are one of the minority for whom "bumping" the cervix during sex is pleasurable rather than painful, you might miss it and not be happy if your cervix is removed. The rest of us, however, generally feel better without the cervix.

It is possible to have fibroids grow on the cervical stump left behind after a partial hysterectomy, so if I had been having my hysterectomy for fibroids I would have elected to remove the cervix to avoid that possibility. We have had women here for whom that possibility has become a reality, requiring a second surgery to remove the cervix, called a trachelectomy.

It's a very individual decision, taking into account your own personal feelings about all of these issues. For me, it was easy - but not so for everyone.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:04 PM

I am scheduled for 12/1 for Davinci....and wondering the same thing. I just keep picturing a big open door when I think of the visual of no cervix! I know that they don't just leave you open, but I can't get that thought out of my head.....I think I would like to keep mine, but would LOVE to hear both sides!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Hi ladies,

I had a prolapse of my cervix and uterus so I had no choice. Had I had a choice I would have gotten rid of it. In my opinion, what do I need it for? Just more worries down the road.

The doctor will create a vaginal cuff when he does your hysterectomy. There won't be an empty space there, and all the other organs will shift and take up what space is left.

My thing is, and again, just my opinion, I don't ever want to worry about a period again....my TVH was on July 27th and I feel great!! I have no nasty discharge, or a period or any of my pain I had before.

Good luck to you!!!
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Thank you for responding. I am finding it very helpful to read of others who have experience in this important decision.
Unread 10-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Cervix No Cervix

Hi there,

I had a TAH in June for fibroids and extremely painful periods, I also had my ovaries removed.

I'm from the UK and it seems to be routine to remove the cervix which to my mind was an added bonus - not only would I never have another excruciatingly painful period - no more smear tests (think they may be the same as your pap test) - it was a win win situation.

I was given a choice about removing the ovaries which increases my risk of breast cancer but not as highly as the risk of ovarian cancer if they stayed. They were also unable to rule hormones out as the cause of my painful periods so I just decided to go for the full works.

Because of my age (45) I was borderline for being routinely put on HRT so again they gave me the choice - I have decided to see how it goes, and so far the only problem I have experienced is hot flushes which are bearable so I don't think I'm going to bother.

No change to my sex drive other than my 19 year old daughter returning home

Only 4 months post op and while tummy still seems swollen I'm able to wear all my pre-op clothes and in fact because I am being careful with my diet have been able to buy smaller tops so I don't think weight gain will be a problem as long as I follow a sensible diet.

Sorry for rambling on a bit, but I can honestly say that this is one of the best things I have ever done
Unread 10-14-2011, 05:21 AM

With a family history of cervical cancer, I was relieved when the doctor said, flat out, "the cervix goes, the ovaries stay." I will be having the DaVinci assisted surgery too, but no date set yet.
Unread 10-14-2011, 05:49 AM

mcc65 - thanks for your post! I am 48, and my surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday, the 19th. I am having everything removed - ovaries, cervix, uterus. I can't take hormones because of a blood clotting condition, so reading your post that "it hasn't been too bad" gives me hope!

Beth
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM

I had my da Vinci hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and I had the same concerns before. My surgery was to solve fibroid and severe bleeding problems so I opted to take no chances and remove the cervix. I am only 35 and my recovery has been pretty simple.

My doctor did ease my mind about the prolapse issue, he explained that there is still a very small chance this could happen so they have to warn about it. But he explained that this was a bigger concern years ago with the procedures used. Hope this helps, I would ask your doctor to explain. Mine did a great job explaining to me.

Good luck!
Unread 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM

I THOUGHT my cervix was staying, but just prior to my surgery found out that it was going. My dr. has very strong feelings about this. I had the davinci laproscopic surgery, but what I didn't know was that everything is still removed through the vagina. I thought it came out through the slits in your abdomen. If the cervix is gone, it's a much larger hole to remove everything out of through the vagina. If they have to leave the cervix, it's a much smaller hole to try to get everything out...resulting in a longer, tedious surgery. I had so much "stuff" to be taken out (enlarged uterus, several very large fibroids), that there was no way it could all come out through the tiny cervix hole.

At any rate...I don't miss my cervix one bit and I'm glad it's gone. Sex is much better for me. I have no problems with lubrication, lack of sensation during sex, etc. Plus, I'm glad I don't have to get pap smears any more...I always hated them. Also, I'd heard there was a chance of getting "mini periods". There was no way I wanted to go through getting a hysterectomy and still have vaginal bleeding monthly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register