abnormal appearing ovary on ct/ sono ,10 weeks post TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abnormal appearing ovary on ct/ sono ,10 weeks post TAH abnormal appearing ovary on ct/ sono ,10 weeks post TAH

Unread 06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
abnormal appearing ovary on ct/ sono ,10 weeks post TAH

I am 10 weeks post op TAH today. I had a screening CT scan (a virtual physical) one month after my surgery which showed:

“a fluid-filled structure measuring 4cm in the left pelvis with associated stranding in the fat planes anteriorly. This structure may represent the left ovary, although the possibility of an abscess cannot be entirely excluded. There may be small communications between diverticulosis in the sigmoid colon and the region of this fluid filled structure. The urinary bladder wall appears thickened as well.”

The radiologist seemed very concerned and wanted me to see my surgeon right away. I had this CT scan on my own; my surgeon did not order it. I called my gyn and faxed him the results. He called me on the phone that evening but did not seem too concerned because it had only been 4 weeks since my TAH; he said it could just be fluid from the surgery or an ovarian cyst. When I saw him for my 6 week check-up he said everything looked wonderful. The speculum exam did not hurt at all, but I was very tender when he was pushing around on my pelvic area and feeling around on the inside at the same time. He said he wanted me to have a follow-up sonogram and wanted that to be done on June 14 (after he calculated some dates). I had that sono done yesterday, June 14, and went and got the report today. The sono yesterday showed the following:

“The left ovary is somewhat irregular and measures 3.4 x .2.1 x 3.1 cm, 11.5 cc volume. The left ovary appeared normal on a prior scan of 2/25/10.” (That February sono was pre-surgery). The sono yesterday also showed “a normal right ovary with a probable small parovarian cyst.” In the final Impression of the sono report, it says “Abnormal appearance of the left ovary with a significant change since February 2010, close follow-up recommended.”

I have to say I am a little worried, the sono never says why it is abnormal in appearance or does not say that it is a cyst. I don’t know what to think. I am hoping my gyn will call me and discuss the results with me before my six month follow-up appointment. That is when I am scheduled to go back for a check-up. If he does not call me within the next week, does anyone think I should call him and ask about the results? I don’t want to over react to something if it is something simple like an ovarian cyst. I know there are some sisters who have had personal experience dealing with this. If anyone reads this and has some advice for me, please post. I would appreciate any input. Oh and I have had a pretty good recovery I think, I still take Tylenol or Ibuprofen everyday though for what I think or thought was just regular postsurgical pain and an aching back after sitting at my desk at work for a few hours. Sorry so long and thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Re: abnormal appearing ovary on ct/ sono ,10 weeks post TAH

Coming from a person who has nothing but complications since
April 6th. I would call your Dr tomorrow!! If my Dr would have listened to me my complications would not have been so bad. Please follow up asap. Do not worry about over reacting. This is YOU we are talking about. You have to take care of you.
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Bleeding909 - Thanks for the reply and your concern. I will contact my doctor soon if I don't here anything. I hope your complications are getting better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2010, 07:52 PM

One of the ladies from my doctors office called me today to talk about the results of my sono. Bascially she said the dr wants me to have another sono in 8 weeks. I guess that is good but I am still confused cause I dont know why the ovary is abnormal in appearance. The report does not say. It's going to be a long 8 weeks. I hate having to wait for things like this. I will update again after that sono. Hope everyone is doing well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register