Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess

Unread 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess

Per the suggestions on this site, I have a mile-long list of questions to go over with my doctor at tomorrow morning's pre-op appointment. And I have been going over the pre-op "hints" and such, and what to bring, what to have, what to prepare, etc. threads here. You'd think that would empower me and make me ready to face the world bravely tomorrow.

But no. I have dissolved into tears, and I am completely scared. Why? Scared seems like a silly word (for me, that is). I just... this is becoming real and I still DO NOT WANT to do it. I broke my leg very badly in May this past year and already did a 3-surgery stint at the hospital only months ago. I DO NOT WANT to have yet another surgery!!!

And this one frightens me more. Full abdominal surgery. I know I'm a strong woman and will get through this fine, but for right now I am overwhelmed and just want to crawl into a little hole and hide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Re: Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess

I feel the same way.. (hugs).. I am scheduled for January 31st. I am no stranger to surgeries by any means, but this one has me frightened for some reason.. Best wishes to you. I am sur
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess

Sure we will be fine.. The anticipation is the hardest part..hugs..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM

My surgery is also Feb. 3. I had a huge crying jag yesterday. I think my biggest fear is not being able to drive or exercise for awhile.
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM

My surgery is scheduled for the 30th. At first I was looking forward to it, because I know after the healing, I'll have my life back...but when I woke up yesterday and realized ITS A WEEK AWAY, I started to freak. Like most of you, I'm no stranger to surgery either, but this is the first MAJOR surgery I'll have, and I'm hoping after I get all my questions answered at my pre-op tomorrow, I'll be a little calmer.
I've learned its true what other sisters have said, the waiting is the hardest part.
Hang in there, and good luck!
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM

I had my radical abdominal hysterectomy on the 6th of December and ladies if you weren't feeling scared you wouldn't be realising the enormity of the life changing event you are going to go through, I had mine to remove cancer so it was the solution to a life threatening disease, I was also scared before.

I am now 7weeks post op no residual disease and clear lymph nodes, every day is an improvement on the one before physically be aware that there is an emotional element of a hysterectomy I didn't pay that part enough attention and it came as a shock but I am feeling good and happy to be ale to help other ladies in this site.

Lots of love to you all, big hugs and stay strong but also remember fear is not a weakness it is an acknowledgment.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM

I totally understand how apprehensive you all feel. I am on a see saw of emotions. I am blessed to be surrounded by a group of supportive people in my family, work and church but am still scared. Everytime I get scared I breathe deeply and try to relax.
I have had many surgeries for endometriosis and fibroids. This is the first major surgery I will have. I know we will all be fine and blessed to feel better when we are on the other side of this big "life changing" surgery.
It took me a few years to make this decision since I have never had children, but I am finally at peace with the choice.
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Waiting IS the worst bit, really!
Hoping and praying your pre-op. appt. will ease a lot of your anxieties. At least, that's what I found. Met all the surgical team (among others) and could ask anything I wanted.

I did know it was a big deal, but kind of blotted it out of my mind and kept busy, making preparations at home, etc.
On the day of the op. I was kind of hyped-up in a funny mix of peace, resignation and... fear, but there was no going back! I did a difficult cryptic crossword while i sat in the pre-op. waiting room and that helped a LOT!

The op. is a breeze - and I say that as one who had never had surgery before in my life, and I'm 63!
I WAS scared I'd never wake up, though!
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:10 PM

The anticipation was the worst part. The surgery really is over before you know it. I had a migraine beforehand from the worry - and that was the worst part of the whole experience. Your doctors will take good care of you! Tell them you're anxious and they will give you something to take the night before to help you sleep. VERY helpful. I wish you happy healing.
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Had my pre-op and pre-admission appointments today - and oddly enough, they made me feel a whole lot calmer. Guess it's because I kinda know how things are supposed to go now - and my other half is now a lot more aware of what is going to happen (he actually volunteered to go with today )

Now I have to wait for the insurance company. (sigh)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register