Epidural vs General - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural vs General Epidural vs General

Unread 09-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Epidural vs General

I have read posts where someone talked to much and they knocked them out. I was awake but I'm also quiet. I am glad I was awake as I got to see my uterus upon my request. I do remember getting dizzy before going in the O.R. and I mentioned it. The anesthesiologist said it was the versed. I told him that it was ok for me to be awake. He never gave me anymore. For knee surgery they told me I was going to be awake and I don't remember being awake and woke up in recovery. I guess I had amnesia from versed during that surgery.
I did mention I got very sick with general in the past and this time he gave me zofran before surgery and after I think. I had both spinal and epidural that stayed in for 24 hours post op. I was pain free.

Here are some links about others that had epidurals and how they felt the first day or two.

Awake during TVH??
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=epidural

Were you Groggy the first day???

Pain..1-10 (sisters either had epidural or morophine pca pump and reported how they felt right after surgery)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2003, 02:54 AM
Spinal

My surgery was planned to be with SPINAL and EPIDURAL but the spinal "held" long enough (i.e. kept me numb) so that the epidural wasn't needed. Surgery lasted about two hours. My surgeon isn't crazy about keeping the epidural in afterwards for pain relief anyway (he had a bad experience with a patient or two) so having just the spinal ws fine with me! I pretty much napped thru surgery but woke up towards the end, still in operating room. No pain but was able to talk with nurses and my doctor and look at the pictures they had taken of my uterus, etc. I am convinced that I have had a relatively easy recovery at lest partially because I did not have to recover from general anesthesia. Good luck...I would make the same choice again in a second!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register