Adhesions and a Second Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adhesions and a Second Surgery Adhesions and a Second Surgery

Unread 10-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Adhesions and a Second Surgery

When I had my hysterectomy last year my recovery seemed to be going so well. I was happy because the giant fibroid was gone and all outwards manifestations of my bipolar disorder seemed to go away when they removed my uterus. On that front I have had NO REGRETS and I would do the whole surgery again in a heartbeat.

About a month and a half after my post op visit I started to experience a weird pain. My OB had left my medical center to start her own practice and my surgeon was on another island. I saw a different OB but he had no answers for me. My personal care physician ran a slew of tests and could not find out what was wrong. From what I'd learned here I knew to ask if it was possibly adhesions, but my PCP did not seem to want to go that direction since you have to do lap surgery in order to diagnose. He wanted to do the least invasive things first. SO a year later, I'm still in chronic (not acute) pain and I have had to severely limit my life in order to avoid acute pain.

The OB was willing to concede that it might be adhesions and I'm having a lap surgery on Nov. 1. My fear is that he won't find anything. What if it isn't adhesions? What if I'm stuck in this pain for the rest of my life? I spent all of my adult life in a mental prison because of the Bipolar. Now that I'm mentally healthy I'm physically limited. I'm also getting apprehensive the closer I get to the surgery even though the one I had last year was WAY more complicated a procedure than this. Eventually I'm going to get around to asking questions but right now I just need to whine and get this all off my chest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Re: Adhesions and a Second Surgery

Have you tried massage? Someone with training did some massage on the place where I think I have one adhesion and my pain went way, way down.
A doctor referred massage could help you & your body relax and get ready for the surgery and help your recovery too.
Unread 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM

I'm sorry you are experiencing pain. I have been in pain for years, been on pain meds, etc. I and some of my doctors assumed adhesions after a battery of tests proved to be inconclusive.

One of my doctors did not think my issue was adhesions but finally agreed to do a lap. He found not a one adhesion, this despite the fact that adhesions were found during most of my surgeries. There really is no way to know for sure until you do go thru surgery. And the problem with surgery is that more surgery can equal more adhesions.

I am finally doing better, I am off all my pain meds. I do still have days with pain, but I can function. I do go to acupuncture weekly. My acupuncturist has been a life saver. I have learned to listen to my body and have accepted that I just cannot go go go like I used to when I was 30.

in there. I hope you can find some resolution and answers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2011, 03:30 PM

BipolarGrl-

So glad you have experienced some relief from your bipolar disorder!

I too am "stuck" in chronic pain, with an undiagnosed source. Most of my docs lean towards an adhesions diagnosis.

When I am in pain, it is so easy to get seduced by fears of the future. I have to remind myself often (or be reminded by others) to take it one day at a time. None of know what the future holds...things could just as easily turn out great as they could turn out rotten!

Wishing you peaceful and pain-free days,
Becca
Unread 10-16-2011, 12:35 AM

@goodcoffee: Nobody has mentioned massage to me. That's the first I've heard of it. Thank you for mentioning it. It's worth looking in to before they actually go in to do the surgery.

@ Kim: I'm glad YOU'RE Finally feeling better and that you are able to step outside you own situation and give support and encouragement to others. Acupuncture? I don't think I'm bold enough to nerve myself up for that. Needles, even really small ones that you can't feel, weird me out.

@Becca: "seduced by fears of the future" is exactly what I've been experiencing. When I had my hysterectomy I was certain that something catastrophic was going to happen... but nothing did. Surgery was great and recovery was great too until I hit that corner and things went south. I need to believe that something good could come out of this even if they aren't able to diagnose what's wrong. THANK YOU for being a voice of reason.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register