IBS question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-04-2006, 02:09 PM
IBS question

In addition to all teh wonderfulness of female parts not working properly, I've also got a wicked case of IBS, and am hoping my doc can skip the bowel prep since it usually throws my system for a mojor loop (knowing this after 4 colonoscopies). Anyone else have similar tummy issues, and how did you deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2006, 04:37 PM
IBS question

I am sorry you have to deal with IBS and female issues. It is a bummer, I know! Have you spoke with your GYN and your gastro about your situation so the two of them together can find the best option for you?

Some of us are not required to do a bowel prep, but that depends on what type of surgery, which organs will be involved, and your dr.

Best wishes to you and I hope all goes well.
Unread 06-04-2006, 04:48 PM
IBS Question

I'm a totally bad influence, but I'm not doing the bowel prep, even though I was instructed to do so. I know the risks, but I do plan on fasting and a liquid diet about a week before with gentle laxatives. I figure that will cover me. The risk of not doing the bowel prep is that the surgeon might accidentally perforate the colon.

As far as your IBS goes, did you know that a lot of women with endometriosis have IBS? The tissue grows all over the place. I know women after their hysterectomy who also get diagnosed with this because of the endometrial tissue going crazy. I got diagnosed with colitis in March 2005, but after a CT scan, my endometrial tissue had wrapped itself around my large intestine inflamming it and causing the problem.

Talk to your MD and see if you can get out of the bowel prep and/or if he has other suggestions for you so that you don't have to go through hell.

God bless you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2006, 08:33 PM
IBS question

I have IBS. Nothing more, nothing less. It was the castle's policy to not do a bowel prep, so I didn't have to. I did ask about it because, like my mom, I am a very compliant patient.

I am usually on the trotty side, so I was hearing about constipation thinking-- that wouldn't be bad for once. Once I was a punctured princess, I had to have BM before leaving the castle-- again on the trotty side.

Something I did not expect: Travel (we live an hour away from the castle) was one of the tougher experiences-- it shook my insides (I know that sounds weird, but the vibration of the car did a number on me.) So I was pretty fluid for a few days.

Lots of fiber, lots of fluids. Keep it all going. Balance can be achieved!!!! I think after reading the boards like I have, I would much rather be on the loose side rather than the constipation.

Good luck!!! Big Hugs on getting that balance. It is elusive, but you can do it!!!!
Barb
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:39 PM
IBS question

I have IBS too - I did a bowel prep in hospital the night before, was fine the day of surgery, and then had the runs all the following day too.

Since then I've tended towards constipation which is horrible so lots of prune juice. To be honest, I'd rather have the runs than be constipated - it hurts much less.
Unread 06-05-2006, 12:50 AM
IBS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Teach
I'm a totally bad influence, but I'm not doing the bowel prep, even though I was instructed to do so ... The risk of not doing the bowel prep is that the surgeon might accidentally perforate the colon.
If your DR has ordered a bowel prep, he/she has reasons for doing so. Not all DRs order them for all patients. I see from your earlier posts that you have endo... I would guess that your DR is anticipating finding endo on your bowel, not all that unusual a situation. If that happens, the DR will have to decide whether or not to do a bowel resection at that point. If the DR decides to attempt a resection, and then finds that you didn't do the prep after he cuts into your bowel, you WILL (if you survive) have a colostomy bag when you wake up. Is that risk worth trying to avoid some very unpleasant symptoms for an evening if you do the prep as ordered?

I've had a colon resection. I was very diligent about doing the prep exactly the way my DR ordered it. I was dehydrated by the time I got to the hospital, but he anticipated that and ordered me to be on IV fluids for an hour before going into surgery. I was able to avoid having a colostomy bag because everything was clean when he did the resection. The recovery from that surgery was difficult enough without that added problem.

(((warmaiden))) ask your DR whether or not you need to do a bowel prep. If you do, ask if there is one option that may be gentler than another. The important thing is for you and your DR to both have the same understanding of what condition you'll be arriving at the OR in, bowel-wise.

Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-05-2006, 10:29 AM
IBS and Hyster

I have not found my IBS to be an issue at all. I do tend to be on the loose side, and found that the bowel prep was just like a bad IBS day. But, I was glad to be clear prior to the surgery. Post surg, have like others been running more to sluggish side.
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:18 PM
IBS question

Okay Linda. You've effectively scared the daylights out of me and I'll be doing that prep. I know for a fact that I have scar tissue around my large intestine because it's caused colitis. I think you just saved my tail. Thank you.
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:54 PM
IBS question

(((I Teach))) I'm glad you are going to play it safe. Good luck!
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
IBS question

Update - I had my pre-op meeting today and the doc and he decided that since the bowel prep has a history of making me horribly spastic in the abdominal area and dehydrates me, that I should stick to daily-digestibles like toast and bananas up to a few days before, and then do a liquid diet.

Surferbabe, you are absolutely right that we need to verify with our docs; if he had been adamant about it I'd've done it - no questions asked. (I was just concerned with my ability to heal, since the spasms and dehydration post-cleanse usually put me in the hospital.)

ALWAYS listen to your doc, ladies, even if it makes life miserable for a few days.

Lesson learned? Always ask. One of the reasons Im having the surgery is to alleviate the havoc the endo wreaks on my IBS, so they're sort of connected. Glad to know I'm not alone, thanks so much!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register