more questions about what to expect, and worries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

more questions about what to expect, and worries more questions about what to expect, and worries

Unread 11-21-2004, 11:24 PM
more questions about what to expect, and worries

Hi everyone

Here I am late at night again==tired as usual but keyed up with stresses of all sorts (not just the TAH in 3 weeks but also my dad's deteriorating health (has been in assisted livng for a month now, and his physical and mental health have been very poor and getting worse for the past two years), exceedingly hectic time in the semester (I teach college music, and the recital/concert/final project/preparing exams time is upon us), unending strife with my father's wife (who has threatened divorce for 2 years and has said she's leaving many times but has not done much about it--long ugly story), and so on......

OH yeah, I was going to ask some questions.

1. Do you have to have a catheter? I'm wondering about infections and discomfort.

2. Do you get shaved for an abdominal hyst? (hope not...)

3. Has anyone here had hemorrhoids removed at the same time ("one-stop shopping))? Pros and cons?

4. I have an unfounded fear that the doctor will discover something really wrong when she opens me up. How do you deal with this fear and with that kind of news if it does actually happen? My mom died of ovarian cancer at age 59 so even though I don't expect this to be discovered it still has me worried. (I'm 45)

Thanks to all of you. The people and the shared experiences and caring shown here are remarkable.

kirinphoebe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2004, 11:53 PM

1. Do you have to have a catheter? I'm wondering about infections and discomfort.

For me, I told my doctor ahead of time that I was more scared of the catheter than I was the hysterectomy and that I didn't want one. She ended up doing more surgery than anticipated, and I woke up with one - and boy, was I a happy camper! It was seriously not a big deal. I did tell the nurse that I was a little concerned about the pain or discomfort of taking it out, and she was very gentle, and it came out like nothing. Don't be worried -- but do tell them you want one. You will NOT want to move right after and I can't imagine a worse feeling of having to 'go' and not being able to move. I'd do one again in a heartbeat.

4. I have an unfounded fear that the doctor will discover something really wrong when she opens me up. How do you deal with this fear and with that kind of news if it does actually happen?

I told the doctor ahead of time to do what she needed to do. In my case, the removal of my ovaries ended up being what was best. I think giving them permission ahead of time to do what they feel is best is important. It's also crucial that you have faith and trust in your doctor to know what's best for you.
Unread 11-22-2004, 12:16 AM

I had a TAH on the 8th, vertical incision. Wanted to stay with the original scars from my c-sections.

Anyway, did have a cathater the first day. Wasn't bothersome and didn't hurt coming out. Walking around with the annoying IV and med machine was more tiresome! I constantly had to have someone unplug me to get to the bathroom. The bladder gives you some time but the longer you wait it pushes harder! Sometimes they would leave the thing unplugged (worked on battery pack) but then would let out an annoying warning noise.

Did have a bit of the hair shaved, doc, nurse must of did it. But no problems there, just first area the sterile strips fall off first!!

I more likely had a fear that the doc wouldn't take care of a problem and stitch me back up. We were in agreement if my ovaries were in distress take the bad one please. I am only 33 and she didn't want to shock me into menapause but didn't want me in pain for anything else. I liked the idea that she was going to do an abdominal incision so she can see everything inside and not with a scope! I only had severe scar tissue and pathology found that I had endo to boot. Ovaries were fine and left alone!

Take care, everything will be great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register