New Here...Hyst Date 8-24-06...HELP!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here...Hyst Date 8-24-06...HELP!! New Here...Hyst Date 8-24-06...HELP!!

Unread 08-03-2006, 08:56 PM
New Here...Hyst Date 8-24-06...HELP!!

Hi!

I just turned 37 and am scheduled for a Supracervical Hyst on August 24th. I have severe pain for weeks at a time from an adenomyoma (a type of adeno caused from a previous myomectomy) and even though I have such intolerable & dibilitating pain, I am still SCARED to DEATH to follow thru with my hyst.

I have suffered with extremely painful and and extremely heavy cycles since I was about 16 years old. I have been anemic for the past 20 years and have had multiple surgeries for endo, fibroids and the adeno to no avail...so then why is it that I am dreading the removal of the source of all of my problems??? Even though I never made the choice to have children and knew I wasn't going to conceive and even after having the Novasure ablation which sealed that fate....I still feel this tremendous loss with my approaching hyst...I am so saddened by all of this...the fact that I HAVE to do this makes me even sadder....I cannot live in this kind of pain any longer...it is taking all of my sanity just to maintain and there is certainly not enough of my sanity left to enjoy life but only to maintain necessary daily functions...SO THEN WHY IS THIS CHOICE STILL SO DIFFICULT??? At times, I want to cut it out myself...someone please give me some positive feedback. This has been going on so long that I can not believe that the hyst will fix things...I am so scared that the pain will still be there....or that I will have a multitude of new problems...how does one get past all of this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 09:22 PM

Hi and So glad you are here!! I'm so sorry to read what you've been going through,that's a long time to suffer.This is a very hard decision to make,it was hard for me.My reason is different than your's,cancer helped to make the decision for me.And even then,I still was struggling with it,some day's are better than other's.I think as women,we all feel a sense of loss..even when the choices are not our's.We just have to keep in mind,that for you it will mean a life without pain and suffering.You will feel so much better after it's over and you've recovered.And for me,no more cancer,I'm hoping.This is a wonderful site,with great women who will help and give support,and there's a ton of information here as well.We're here for you,and all of us will get through this together.Take care
Unread 08-03-2006, 10:16 PM

Hi Jenine,

I think a lot of the feelings you are experiencing are normal before a hyst. The...what if's and why not's. Generally, a hyst is an ~elective~ surgery and that can make the decision making harder sometimes.

I had a LSH and I am still very pleased with my surgery results. In post-op, what I treasured most was getting my -quality of life- back.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 10:23 PM

Hi There-
I think it's normal to feel the way you feel. I had some major kidney problems that resulted in having my kidney removed. Although I knew it was the only way to eliminate the excruciating pain, I was so upset. You have been through a lot and there is always a fear of the unknown. My surgery date is 08-09 and I have been bleeding now since April, yet there are days where I am inconsolable. Relax, take a deep breath and trust your doctor- and yourself. This is a major decision in your life - It is ALOT to process. I hope this helps and I'm sending lots of hugs your way! ~Lori
Unread 08-04-2006, 06:19 AM

Welcome Sister!!!! You have found the perfect place to share and to receive much love and encouragment. I have two teenagers and I don't want to have anymore kids and yet I have the same sense of loss. I think that we all have that to some degree. The important thing is that you have a place that you can share your pain, your issues and be accepted and encouraged. You are part of the Hystersisters!!!!!
Unread 08-04-2006, 07:46 AM

Thank you all for your support...

It's strange because I almost feel numb about having my hyst...like, I know it's coming but I don't believe it will ever really happen. How weird is that?? I guess that is what they call denial...lol. I keep looking at all of my tampons and pads thinking...I better keep em' just in case.... Just in case what?? Just in case the doctor decides to leave my uterus behind during the hyst?? I can't believe how long it takes for the brain to catch up to reality...uggh.

Any advice on how to get mentally prepared would be great!
Thanks again ladies!
Unread 08-04-2006, 08:16 AM

You poor thing! If it makes you feel any better, I must say you are normal to have these feelings of loss and doubt. All the Dr.s I saw in the last 10 years advised hysterectomy and I held out as long as possible and had a complete lap assisted hyst. at the end of March. There is alot to be concerned about but reread your entry and the answer is there...you can't go on feeling like you are now. Yes, it may be hard to recover and adjust but I think if you keep reading other posts, you will see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My surgery was at the end of March and I have recovered very well and have to still remind myself that I won't be making plans around my cycle anymore and that feels GREAT! Waiting for surgery is the pits. Too much time to dwell on it..instead make the most of this time to get things done around the house so you can really relax and recover and concentrate on yourself. Good luck with your surgery and let us know how it goes. THINK POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 08-04-2006, 08:30 AM

Hi Bertaa...

Thank you for your response!

You are so very right...I do know the answer.

How wonderful it will be not to have to make plans around bleeding and pain....I am so used to hurting and flooding, I think I will feel lost when it is over...Lord knows, I won't miss it...I just won't know what to do with myself at first...lolol. Now that makes me want to do it today!!

Thanks again!
Unread 08-04-2006, 09:26 AM

Hi there
Im sory to hear what you have been through and are going through
Im due to have surgery on 15th August and im having lots of doubts,will i still feel like a woman,am i doing the right thing ect ect.
Ive been told all these feelings are normal but at the moment it doesnt feel that way,but there seems to be lots of wonderful ladies here offering some great advice and support
I wish you all the best with your surgery
Hugs x
Unread 08-04-2006, 09:49 AM

I am having mine done the same day as you. I know for me there was the initial shock of it all. Then I came around to the idea and am seriously getting excited about not being in pain any longer!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register