What nurse says my Dr denies, PLEASE HELP I'm struggling. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What nurse says my Dr denies, PLEASE HELP I'm struggling. What nurse says my Dr denies, PLEASE HELP I'm struggling.

Unread 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
What nurse says my Dr denies, PLEASE HELP I'm struggling.

I agree about needing to speak directly to your doctor. I had a similar experience with my former gyno. I would call and ask to have her call me back directly and all I would get was her nurse. When I would explain my heavy bleeding and excruciating pain, the nurse said she'll talk to the doc and call me back. Instead of ever looking at me history and checking to see what was really wrong, she would prescribe a different BCp and tell me to take something OTC. I had enough, switched to another doc and he is not only taking action, but making sure to give me adequate pain medication until my surgery. He is always available to talk and has even called me from his home. I think your doctor may be okay, but with the nurse in the mix, I think you should find a better gyno after your surgery for the future. There are great doctors out there. For the time being, I like the idea of just showing up and asking to talk to your doctor. Demand it and tell them you won't leave until he talks to you!!! Good luck and hope your surgery goes well. I go on Sept. 26th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2005, 06:29 AM

I can see all sides here as I am a nurse in a Dr's office. If you are in constant pain and call for refills of pain medication it sets off a red light with the nurses whom you need to speak with to get to the Dr. You have no idea how many people play the system to get pain medication and unfortunately that makes everyone a suspect, even though you have a legitimate cause for needing pain medications. I agree that the nurse did not handle your situation with respect. From the sound of things you are taking meds approximately every 6-8 hours and feeling afraid if you do not have any medication left if you need it. You need to schedule an appointment with the Dr to be reevaluated. You may need a change of medication, maybe some treatment suggestions to keep you comfortable until your surgery date or if your condition is worsening, moving up your surgery date. Unfortunately we nurses are the go between with patients and the Drs and because of that we do take a lot af abuse from patients. If you were to just walk in to the office without an appointment as someone suggested, the patient the Dr was about to go in with to examine will be left waiting while he is speaking with you. How many times have you sat on the exam table naked, covered with a flimsy johnny and drape, cussing under your breath because you have been sitting there for over one hour? It's because someone who walked in without an appointment is taking up YOUR time. Your health is important and your pain needs to be taken seriously, you should not have to suffer needlessly. Please speak with your Dr soon.
Michelle
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:59 AM

I dont know if this is what you meant in your post, but IF a doctor refuses to treat you anymore they have to send you a certified letter of discharge-- BY LAW!! Also the letter gives you 30 days to find another MD, in other words if you need emergency care in that time your present doctor MUST treat you. As for the nurse, she should have more tact , not to mention sympathy. If she cant,.... she should get out of the profession.

Feel better, Jean
Unread 09-02-2005, 08:11 AM

Michelle, that was I who suggested just walking into the Dr.'s office, and I agree with you about the other patients time being taken up but if your Dr. is that unreachable and not helping I agree with doing this. I work for a Nephrologist and he would never turn away anyone in need and this is one reason his patients love him so much. I agree, we take alot of abuse as the go between and you probably agree her nurse probably did not handle that situation very well. I'm always looking over the patients chart before dismissing any question they may have to assure the Dr. does know what is going on with them. No, I'm not an RN but an MA but I do work directly with the patients everyday and I'm sure like you, you know your patients very well and what problems they have. Maybe she should look for another Dr. that was also a great suggestion. And Jean your absolutely right, you have to be given a 30 day notice to be dismissed as a patient, at least here in Ohio.
Unread 09-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Thank you so much for the replies everyone. As of right now, my Dr is on vacation until Tues. so I'll go another weekend without meds. My best girlfriend has been going to this Gyn of mine since she was 15. She says he would never say one thing to me in the office (she said he's actually bluntly honest) and another when I can't talk to him. Apparently I'm being caught in the middle of the System. The Drs office is getting really big (it's almost a small city) and patiens like me that my Gyn wants to handle personally get caught in the middle. Once this nurse told me something personal of hers because she was having a bad day. I believe she stays in a terrible personal situation that interferes with her bedside manner. My girlfriend and I believe she never spoke to my Gyn and is only giving me the standard response. I'm a reasonable person and I try to see all sides because that's the way I would want to be treated. However, I'm so emotional right now, I'm just exhausted with what I'm going through. No Lance Armstrong here today!

I can't move up my surgery (and I did try to yesterday) because of insurance. They won't pay until after 9/15 and my Dr doesn't operate because of scheduling until 9/22 and I'm the first. So, he fully understands (at least he told me this in the office) that I'm going to have to be taken care of pain med wise until 9/22 no matter how much we both dislike the situation. I'm just falling through the cracks and getting my behind kicked today (and this weekend) by Aunt Flo. She's going away soon. And this is our relationship today. AGAIN, thank you all so, so much for helping me. Em
Unread 09-02-2005, 10:50 AM

Even if he is on vacation there should still be a covering dr. whom you should be able to get to give you at least enough meds until your regular dr. comes back. The other possiblilty is the emergency room. If you go in complaining of pain you may be able to get your meds that way, not the best way but severe pain is debilitating and should never be taken lightly.

Hugs

PMM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register