Enlarged Uterus & tummy tucks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Enlarged Uterus & tummy tucks Enlarged Uterus & tummy tucks

Unread 09-02-2001, 02:38 PM
Enlarged Uterus & tummy tucks

Can someone help me out here??

My uterus is enlarged to the size of a 10 week pregnancy. The Dr. used her fist to show the normal size of a uterus, then showed us the size of a 10 week uterus. Too me, not much difference. However, because of the size, my hyst can not be done vaginally.

What causes enlarged uterus's anyway?? I've never been told or is there a known reason?

Also, is there anyone out there who will be doing a tummy tuck w their hyst? I'm tossing it around, (c-section in 94). I'm not overweight by any means, I just have this extra skin. I'm thinking if this is an option, does the ob/gyn doing the surjury, (as in my case) also do the tuck, or is that done by a plastic surgeon?

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2001, 03:01 PM

Hi, Deb!

My uterus was enlarged but my doctor was able to do a vaginal procedure. The test she did beforehand was to see how much movement "we" could get by her pulling - she put a little clamp on my cervix - and me pushing. If the uterus moved enough, which mine did, she could plan to do the procedure vaginally. My uterus was '9 weeks size,' according to the path report. I think every doctor has their own preferences...for example, mine doesn't normally do a lap when doing a TVH...some doctors, from what I have read, always do a lap assisted procedure when doing it vaginally. Why? Who knows...training, personal preference, hospital set up, insurance payments...?? Wouldn't hurt to ask ... because many factors go into every surgical decision.

My uterus was enlarged because of adenomyosis...which is endometriosis within the lining of the uterus itself. This can be suspected but can't be diagnosed without the uterus itself being looked at, like after surgery. Also, fibroids can be the cause of enlargement...again, I encourage you to ask your doctor every question you can think of. Check the pull down menus and look at the list of questions you will find there.

Keep reading, posting and talking to your doctor.
Unread 09-02-2001, 03:07 PM
Debkins

I have a very enlarged uterus also, I look about 5 to 6 months pregnant and have for along time. I am having a LAVH/BSO and bladder repair, because of a bad prolapse, endeo and fibroids. My surgeon said that you would not find many DR's in NZ that do AB Hysts anymore. It does take a little longer but she said it will be fine. As for why you get an enlarged uterus, I guess mine is from fibroids and prolapse and having four kids who used it as a tramperline. Ha ha ha. Hope this helps.

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2001, 06:19 PM

LindaJean,

Thanks for the insight of the test, I will definately talk to the dr. about this.

I keep seeing reference to the list of questions to ask the dr. during the pre-op visit, go to the pull down menu. When I do, I'm not seeing it....(I must be blind!)......LOL

What exactly am I looking for? Does the thread have a certain name?

Seen my SIL today, who is a nurse, (so is my MIL). SIL thinks I should take a leave before my surgery. (Had a 2 unit transfusion on 7-27). My blood count is perfect as of last friday, and I do look wiped out, but I have color, (from my doctor). However, I do not have color in my lips.

Anyone else out there take a leave before their date at the castle?
Unread 09-02-2001, 06:24 PM

Hi Debkins...I had to have a TAH for two reasons...one being that I am overweight and the other is that my uterus was enlarged enough that she didn't feel comfy with a TVH.
As far as a tummy tuck...my tummy never got over my two large kids! I had no muscle tone and a large overhang. After conferring with my great gyn, she sent me to a plastic surgeon who worked with her on dates, etc. to add the tummy tuck to my TAH. I am 16 days post-op and like what I see so far! I do NOT have a washboard stomach but I can tuck my shirts in without looking like a roly poly for a change!
All the best...Sue
Unread 09-02-2001, 06:30 PM

By the time I got into surgery my uterus was the size of a 15-week pregnancy, but my doc still took care of me vaginally (thank heavens!). I think he wanted to do it that way because he's young, and that's the way he's most comfortable as it was a focus when he was in residency, besides, I think he liked the challenge!

The reason my uterus was so large was because of rapidly growing fibroids.

Good Luck!!!
Unread 09-03-2001, 07:31 AM

I haven't got my surgery date yet, go on 9/12/01 and as soon as I know I will update my info. I am getting a SAH (think thats right) and I am getting a tummy tuck with it as well. My uteris is the size of a 14 week uteris so I too have to get cut :cry:. I am so happy to hear about hoping4better, I haven't been able to tuck a shirt in for at least 10 years. :grin: I will be sure to post about my recovery so anyone thinking about this will have some kind of idea of what to expect. You have to do what is best for you, I have done a lot of soul searching before making this decision. Just remember, its your decision and if it will make you feel better about yourself I say go for it.

Best wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register