how long is the recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long is the recovery? how long is the recovery?

Unread 05-05-2008, 10:55 AM
how long is the recovery?

does anyone know how long the recovery is for a TAH?

I am a SAHM of two boys the oldest will be a big help but my 4 year old is well lets just say very HANDS ON.

I had my left overy removed in OCT and the Dr kept me in the hospital for 4 days. so I am wondering how long I will be in after a TAH? and then how long I will be laid up at home?

My mom is going to fly down and take care of the boys for me as long as I need her but I would like some kind of idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2008, 11:22 AM

I'm not sure what SAHM means. I think 6 weeks of recovery time is kind of standard - that's what my doctor gave me, and it seems that a lot of others have had the same timeframe. That covers lifting, jarring, and having the cat jump from the back of the couch onto your abdomen. People are more likely to start "cheating" as they feel better, so they are more likely to injure themselves later in the recovery period than earlier.

I was in the hospital for 3 days, and I think 3 - 4 days is also pretty standard.

I hope that helps.

MMM
Unread 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM

I am sorry SAHM stands for Stay At Home Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Hi!

Recovery time is going to vary from woman to woman but you can expect that initial healing will take 6 - 8 weeks. Depending on your doctor, you may have lifting restrictions for all of that time. You can expect to have driving limitations, too. I think I wasn't allowed to drive until two weeks post-op. Some doctors let their patients drive earlier than that and of course others won't allow it until later in recovery. It will depend on if you are using prescription pain medication, too.

I was in the hospital for two night for my TAH/BSO. I went in on a Thursday morning and was released on Saturday morning. I sent my husband back to work on Monday and was able to take care of myself and my son who was four at the time. I did have some help from his older siblings.

You're very fortunate to have a mom who will come care for you and help with the children. Take anyone up on offers of help so that you have the best chance to heal well.

I think you will find the information in the Pre-Op Page very helpful as you prepare for surgery and recovery. Here is a link to that resource: Pre-Op Page.

Best wishes to you!

s
Unread 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM

I was in the hospital for 2 days. I am 4 weeks post op now and am very tired. It is different day to day. Some days I am good and some days not. I recently had some really good hardly any pain days, and then today I am exhausted and in pain like I was 2 weeks. I think I pulled some internal stitches. (You tend to do more when you feel better, so I think I over did something)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register