Unbearable pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unbearable pain Unbearable pain

Unread 08-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Unbearable pain

Hi, I had my uterus and one ovary removed on July 19th. I was doing great for the first 5 days. All of a sudden on the 6th day I began to have unbearable pain in my left thigh, it felt as if someone was trying to pull my leg out of my body. I spent the next 5 days in bed in agony because I thought it was a pulled muscle or pinched nerve. By then I was popping Percocet and 800 mg. Motrin every 3 hours and finally went to the Emergency Room. Even after they gave me intervenus with a pain killer they said they give to Cancer patients, I was still in pain.
Spent 4 days in the hospital and all I got was a Cortisone shot, that didn't do a thing and they rulled out a blood clot or fracture. Everyone of the doctors that came in to see me said it had nothing to do with the hysterectomy, especially my GYN.
I don't believe that !! I would rather have root canal without novacane than live with the pain I still have in my left thigh. I can barely walk or breathe from all this pain. The neurologist said it sounds like tendenitus, bursitus and arthritus all in my left hip ??? Of course she wants to do more tests so I'm scheduled for nerve studies and an MRI.
Nothing has helped, no amount of pain killers, ice, heat, massage or anything, and I'm getting so depressed. Has anyone had anything like this. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Unbearable pain

It sounds miserable! I have not had what you are describing but I have had horrendous pain in my neck and shoulder. I can tell you it was my neurologist who was able to finally figure it out and treat me, so I hope your neuro is successful in finding out what is causing your pain and how to provide you with some relief!

in there!
Unread 08-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Unbearable pain

Yes - I have had leg pain. I have also had several EMGs. I am not able to have an MRI due to a type of metal used in one of my previous surgeries. MRIs aren't painful. EMGs can be painful - depending on the doctor or technician performing the tests.

My pains are caused from nerves being pinched, and damage from a previous bout of shingles. I have had surgery to correct part of my nerve pain (from a broken bone in my back) - to nerve blocks for my thigh pain. In addition, the pain management doctor gave me lidocaine patches to wear whenever I need to walk places.

I hope they find the cause of your pain and are able to resolve it quickly. Being in pain is no fun at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Unbearable pain

hopesherri,
You poor woman! I am having hip pain myself but not to that extent. I hope they find the cause soon and give you some relief. Let us know how it goes.
Unread 08-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Unbearable pain

Gosh, hope you are feeling well soon. I wonder if you havent pinched and nerve during your surgery that could be causing your pain. I cant imgaine why you would all of a sudden have such pain and it not be related to your surgery. I have had nerve damage from a car accidednt years ago and it is so painful and not much seems to help. I would try to keep taking motrin and maybe it will help with some inflamation that could possibly be pinching on something. Chronic pain is very hard to deal with day after day try to think positive and I hope this new doctor will help find the cause. Mine was found by having an emg done, will be thinking of you and let us know how you are doing.
Glasslady36
Unread 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Unbearable pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoniOhio
Yes - I have had leg pain. I have also had several EMGs. I am not able to have an MRI due to a type of metal used in one of my previous surgeries. MRIs aren't painful. EMGs can be painful - depending on the doctor or technician performing the tests.

My pains are caused from nerves being pinched, and damage from a previous bout of shingles. I have had surgery to correct part of my nerve pain (from a broken bone in my back) - to nerve blocks for my thigh pain. In addition, the pain management doctor gave me lidocaine patches to wear whenever I need to walk places.

I hope they find the cause of your pain and are able to resolve it quickly. Being in pain is no fun at all!
Thank you so much for your response. I'm also wearing a Lidocane Patch. Sounds like it helped you, so I'm going to keep wearing them. I have my MRI tomorrow. I just want this constant pain in my leg to go away. I hope you're doing well. Thanks so much. Hope K. in New Jersey.
Unread 08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Unbearable pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslady36
Gosh, hope you are feeling well soon. I wonder if you havent pinched and nerve during your surgery that could be causing your pain. I cant imgaine why you would all of a sudden have such pain and it not be related to your surgery. I have had nerve damage from a car accidednt years ago and it is so painful and not much seems to help. I would try to keep taking motrin and maybe it will help with some inflamation that could possibly be pinching on something. Chronic pain is very hard to deal with day after day try to think positive and I hope this new doctor will help find the cause. Mine was found by having an emg done, will be thinking of you and let us know how you are doing.
Glasslady36
It was great hearing from you. I have an MRI tomorrow and an EMG next week. I'm going to take your advice and go back on Motrin. I'm also wearing a Lidocane patch. So far, the pain is the same and I love the way all the doctors have said that this has nothing to do with the hysterectomy because I'm sure it does. Otherwise, I'm almost 3 weeks out and I'd feel great. Thanks. Hope K. in New Jersey
Unread 08-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Unbearable pain

I'm feeling you sister...I have severe pain on my right insicion site...it feels like a rod is stuck thru me coming out my back and running down my right thigh and leg....it hurts so back and I can't walk because bearing weight makes it hurt worse. I'm out of meds for pain (which didn't help) What do I do...will I need to be scanned also...I work at a diagnostic facility...anyone know what I need to do? Thanks.
Unread 08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Unbearable pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini78
I'm feeling you sister...I have severe pain on my right insicion site...it feels like a rod is stuck thru me coming out my back and running down my right thigh and leg....it hurts so back and I can't walk because bearing weight makes it hurt worse. I'm out of meds for pain (which didn't help) What do I do...will I need to be scanned also...I work at a diagnostic facility...anyone know what I need to do? Thanks.
Gemini !! You need to get an MRI and possibly an EMG (it's not fun), my family doctor was the only one to admit yesterday that this agony I'm in was probably caused by something that happened during the surgery. All the other doctors said it was unrelated !! Yeah, right.
What are the doctors saying is causing you this pain ??? I'm taking Vicodin for pain every four hours and it's the least constipating.
Unread 08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Unbearable pain

Hope Sherri,
This does sound like a nerve being pinched or compressed, the worst kind of pain. (Think compressed disk in someone's back, and so not to scare you, at least yours doesn't sound as hard to get to). I think the only possible upside is that your pain didn't start right away, so maybe the pressure could ease or the nerve could possibly move back to a better location when swelling subsides??????? But definitely do something about it now, don't wait. You do need to document that this happened - get opinions on paper and be able to have them fix it without causing an out of pocket expense for you. (Maybe you have full coverage with no co-pays?) I just can't imagine your pain, but I know that there is nothing worse than a pinched nerve and that does sound like what you have. I have been getting a cramp in my right side many weeks after surgery (started about l0 weeks out) and I hate it . . is it an ovarian cyst? . . .adhesions? But it is a duller kind of pain that I could live with if it doesn't get worse than this. Please let us know how you are doing and know that we Sisters will all be praying in our own ways for you. Love, Asta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register