So Afraid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
So Afraid

Hi Ladies!

I'm scheduled August 1st to have my cervix and uterus removed due to suspected endo. I'm not really sure which acronym that kind of surgery is. I suffer from very painful periods. I'm 34 years old and I have 2 children. I don't want anymore (children or periods(.

Well, I told the doc that I'd like to keep my cervix, if possible. He says "Oh, I always take the cervix. You will be fine." He said it just like he would say he always takes freshly grated parmesan with his chicken alfredo.

Sheesh. These docs really know how to shut me up. I feel bullied by them but that's because I'm a wuss.

Anyway, I'm so scared I won’t be able to orgasm. I have great ones right now and I almost want to go home and have as many as possible before surgery, just in case. LOL! I often orgasm in my sleep, and what is better than that? Napping and having an orgasm all at the same time? These are two of my favorite things combined!! LOL! Mostly, though, they do come from clitoral stimulation and when I hit my peak, my whole lower body feels as if it contracting. It is bliss.

I pray someone can tell me that I have nothing to worry to about. That the odds of this being a problem are very low and chances are, I’ll be just as I have always been.

Because, to be quite honest, if this is, more than likely, going to be an issue, I can deal with the pain 2 weeks out of the month that comes from my period. My doc already gives me lortab once a month to take as needed and most of the time, it does the job. I’m so close to backing out this and if I will have to face diminished sexual function, I’m going to call the whole thing off. It’s a game changer. My doctor, male, assures me that it won’t be an issue. That is wife has had it done and there are no problems. But, how does he really know unless he has been through the surgery himself and knows what the heck a female orgasm feels like?

So Ladies – Please give me some good news here! Tell me it will be ok!! The clock is ticking and countdown to surgery has begun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Re: So Afraid

Two things come to mind, here. From what I've read on this site, *most* women - but not *all* women - don't find the loss of their cervix to be a problem. While I don't generally recommend that pre-oppers should read the post-op board, I really think you *should* read through the responses at this particular thread: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=535375

The second thing that comes to mind is, why are you having this surgery right now? You wrote that you can deal with the pain, that lortab does the job most of the time and that you don't like your surgeon's attitude - which I agree is dismissive and disrespectful.

Have you considered cancelling the surgery and getting a second opinion before you proceed further? To be honest, you need to stop being a wuss about this before you end up having an irreversible surgery that you weren't sure you wanted in the first place.
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM

I'm in a similar situation- 34, 2 kids, horrendous periods and pain, and TERRIFIED I'll lose the Big O. My doctor has informed me of the pros and cons of removing/leaving my cervix, and reminded me there are no guarantees. I have clear PAPs. She recommended taking the cervix so I don't have periods again, but I'm so nervous!!!

My surgery date is August 7th - feel the clock ticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM

OMG, you are so right. Why am I doing this? The doctors made it sound like no big deal. Like I will be exactly the same person as before, just minus the periods. I've signed all the papers and tomorrow I'm supposed to start my bowel prep. Why didnt they just offer to go in and look for endo and remove it? Can't they do that with the da vinci?
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Ok so I just called my doctor's office and asked to speak with my mid wife. She was out so I talked to the nurse who usually sees me. She said she had her cervix and uterus removed when she was 35 and promised me that it did not affect her sex life at all. She say's it all still feel exactly like it did before the surgery. That made me feel better but I'm still very weary. I won't get much sleep tonight.
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:58 PM

What did your doc say about sexual dysfunction after? The doctor doing my procedure is male and I just can't really believe what he says because, how does he REALLY know? He doesn’t know from personal experience, that's for sure.
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:26 PM

If you aren't sure about this surgery, I suggest you take a pass for now and get a second opinion. There is no rush to have this done and you must be settled with your decision. At this time, it doesn't sound like you are okay with it. Get a second opinion as this is a major surgery that is life changing for most women, most positive but some are negative.

Good luck!
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM

4 weeks ago tomorrow, I had my LAVH ( Laproscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy ). My Dr. removed my Uterus, Cervix and Fallopian Tubes....I was able to keep both ovaries! My recovery has been pretty good so far....went back to work full time at 19 days post op ( I sit at a desk all day with ample opportunities to get up and walk around when needed ).

I dont know what surgery you are scheduled for...but I would suggest looking around here and maybe some on the internet as well. I did tons of research ( I only had 9 days to prepare, LOL ) . If you are truly unsure of what you want to do at this point, I would seek a second opinion. If you arent comfortable with your Dr, you need to find another one that you feel comfortable with. This is major surgery and you should not be afraid to ask questions of your Dr.

I still have 2 weeks to go before I can have sex, so I have no answers on that yet....I cant wait for that day though! We have several threads on the post op boards about sex after hyster tho, so you should check them out.

Either way, good luck with whatever you choose to do!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register