How long for the ovaries to 'kick in'? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long for the ovaries to 'kick in'? How long for the ovaries to 'kick in'?

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:14 AM
How long for the ovaries to 'kick in'?

Hi, not sure if this is the right place or not.... Please move if it is not...

I am having a TAH and keeping my ovaries. I have been reading a bit about the ovaries shutting down and taking a while to kick back it. I think my Dr said it could take a couple of months but I cant really remember. Does it take a while for them to kick in? How will I know when they do? What will it be like while they are having a bit of a holiday? I vaguely remember my Dr saying it will be a bit like menopause until they kick in again but I cant really be sure... (not that I know what that is like.. Hot flushes and excess hair is about all I know..) I wont be seeing him again until I go to the castle..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Re: How long for the ovaries to 'kick in'?

Hello,

This is going to sound vague and I know there is an article on this site that could give you more info...

Not everyone's 'shut down' and there are 2 reasons that they can - all the poking and proding during surgery and there are 2 different blood supplies to the ovaries - one of which comes from the uterus - I have seen that some woman are like 60/40 from the different sides... some are 100% from one side or the other. If it is all from the uterus they might not come back... but if it either other option... they will eventually come back and adjust.

The only 'symptom' I have had is night sweats. Some get the emotional storms.

I had my 5 week post-op appt yesterday and asked my doc about how much longer (and I do admit - they have lessened over the last week or so) she asked me if I wanted to talk about 'replacement' help... I'm not ready for that personally - she suggested I try estroven for a while to see if it helps... today will be my first day.

I hope that helped - at least a little

You will do great.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM

PaperPusher is right, there is an article on here talking about the ovaries shutting down.
www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97124.htm

It happens to some and not others...mine did, but it was only for 2 weeks, the only thing that happened to me, is a got a great sneak peek at menopause...lol. Hot flashes, night sweats, irrational mood swings, thank goodness for me it stopped after 2 weeks!

(((Hugs)))
Amrayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM

I have a question regarding hormones after surgery. I am having everything removed and expected to be talked to about HRT but, my male Doctor, who so far I trust, made the comment that it isn't nessecary and he would wait and see. Should I be worried about that?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register