ca 125 rising | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ca 125 rising ca 125 rising

Unread 10-10-2014, 01:16 PM
ca 125 rising

I had hernia surgery on sept 10 and I went for my checkup yesterday and it was 120 and I'm scared!!! Please help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Re: ca 125 rising

Ok, so that sounds scary *but* try not to worry. A raised ca125 can (I understand...I am not a dr) be caused by a number of conditions. I know this because before my hysterectomy mine was at a similar level and after scans etc it turned out not to be caused by cancer.

Did whoever gave you the test result at your check not talk it through with you and recommend any further action? I am assuming not but it's ok, you just need to talk to your Dr on Monday and get this followed up as soon as possible. (I am sorry I don't know where you are or how your healthcare system works.)

Fingers crossed that all is well, that it's not anything sinister and the level comes down (mine did, all by itself). Please try hard not to worry, just channel that energy into what you can practically do which is look after yourself and seek expert advice when possible.

x
Unread 10-10-2014, 01:50 PM

She told me not to worry and they will recheck it in 3 weeks because the surgery was about 4 weeks. I'm going to worry myself to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Ah well all I can say is that they told me the same thing, like you I worried myself almost to death and then lo and behold it came down pretty dramatically over that time and then steadily after that.

I hope that's the case for you too and I know that everyone is different but at least you know that it's possible.

All the best
Unread 10-10-2014, 03:21 PM

My relative was sent to an oncologist for surgery because of a high ca125 number. She had her surgery 1 month later. We were very upset and worried. The tumor was removed and turned out to be non-malignant. Her doctor told her that other things like inflammation can cause this to happen. Her numbers were back to normal at her follow up and she is well at this time.

It is so easy to say not to worry. You will anyway, but maybe knowing that others have had a similar situation and everything ended positively will help a little.

My positive thoughts are with you. Hang in there.
Unread 10-10-2014, 04:31 PM

CA125 is notorious for false positives that turn out to have nothing to do with cancer at all. Chin up!

I hope you're healing well from your hernia surgery.
Unread 10-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristow36 View Post
I had hernia surgery on sept 10 and I went for my checkup yesterday and it was 120 and I'm scared!!! Please help me
I know how you feel, one of reasons why I had to have my hysterectomy was due to a rising CA125 level, my last readings before my surgery had doubled and they were taken 4 weeks apart. Thank goodness, everything that was removed by a gynecological oncologist was benign.

Many, many things can cause that number to increase, in my case it was my Endometriosis (which had went from Stage II to Stage IV). I believe that abdominal inflammation can also cause that number to rise and that is probably what happened in your case. Try not to worry too much. I am not sure when my level will be checked again but my the surgeon didn't request another reading probably because I would still have lots of inflammation going on inside.

Keep us posted
Unread 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM

(((bristow)))

First, take some deep breaths to help center yourself (it really does help). As the other wonderful sisters have pointed out, the CA-125 is not a diagnostic test and therefore cannot rule OVCA in or out. In fact, its primary use is to follow progression of the disease after diagnosis. Perfectly benign conditions can cause an increased level. That being said, it can be used in consideration with other issues to help point in a treatment direction or make a diagnosis.

Since your survey indicated OVCA as a possibility, have you been referred to a gyn/onc (gynecological oncologist)? They are the experts, and we do recommend consulting one, if possible. I also wanted to let you know you're more than welcome to check out our Cancer Concerns forum as well, if you'd like. There are lots of great ladies there who've been there/done that who'll help however they can.

Fingers crossed big time this doesn't turn out to be cancer related. Please keep us posted and hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register