Time out of work after hysterectomy - question - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time out of work after hysterectomy - question Time out of work after hysterectomy - question

Unread 08-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Time out of work after hysterectomy - question

My surgery was on August 2nd (13 days ago) and I was hoping to return August 21st. After speaking with my nurse she sent a letter from the doctor to postpone returning to work until after my follow up appt. on the 28th. I'm a property manager and things get very stressful at work. I know stress can affect my ability to heal so I'm not rushing it anymore.

I am still on pain meds, Motrin or Tylenol during the day and Percocet if needed at night. My pain is mostly from my belly incisions along with terrible itching! Im resting a lot and enjoying this stress free time at home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Re: Time out of work after hysterectomy - question

My doctor is ok with giving me the 6 weeks even though it was laparoscopic..... And I am taking the 6 weeks. I still have pain when I have a BM and I am still getting tired during the day and taking naps!
Unread 08-15-2017, 06:22 PM

Notice the great variety in answers, proving that recovery is very individual! Returning in 8 days would have been insane for me. I expected 2 weeks off with LAVH/robotic but extended that to 3 weeks before even going back. My belly felt so unsupported and vulnerable! I work with young children who make you laugh, give running belly-hugs, move quickly and require floor sitting/stretching. In week 4, I made it to work three days, came home in great pain and canceled the rest of the week. I have groin pains where an adhesion was removed, aggravated by driving too much or straining during BMs. Everybody's insides are different! My best advice to a HysterSister is: Don't stress by comparing yourself with anyone else ~ no one has your body except you, and no one else feels or heals the way you do. It's taken me 5 weeks to really feel OK about my own healing rate and do away with any and all expectations or comparisons. I truly hope this is helpful to someone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbog View Post
For the sisters that have gone before us..... How much time did you take off of work and do you think you went back too soon?
I was off 6 full weeks and no way was it too soon. I struggled with fatigue and soreness for 2 weeks after returning to work on august 2 and still today I need a hot shower, heating pad, ibuprofen for soreness in back and abdomen. I prefer prescription strength but the otc brand works . Also swelly belly too when I over exert.
Unread 08-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Time out of work after hysterectomy - question

I am now at week 7.5 from a laproscopic vaginal hysterectomy of uterus, tubes and cervix. I would not be able to go back to work yet. I'm on holidays for 1.5 more weeks. I'm scheduled to be back full time at 9 weeks post op. But the dr is actually talking about writing me off for another 4 weeks past that. He is concerned that I'm still in pain.
I can only do "work" for about 1-2 hrs a day before I'm laid up. Like washing dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc. I still do no lifting, vacuuming, or much bending.
I still have a complete vaginal cuff of stitches the dr can see when doing an internal. He also removed a cyst, endometriosis and many adhesions in my tummy.
I can't believe I still feel so yucky after such a long time. But it's out of my control and I need to listen to my body.
I am so glad the surgery ended up being at the start of my yearly 8 weeks of holidays- I don't no how I could take this much time off using sick days.
I hope you just listen to your bodies and don't push it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register