Is heartburn/indigestion common effect after surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is heartburn/indigestion common effect after surgery Is heartburn/indigestion common effect after surgery

Unread 07-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Is heartburn/indigestion common effect after surgery

Hi! I had very great burning pain in my stomach, but tests showed "slight GERD" (reflux). I think they were nuts saying it was slight - I had horrendous pain from it and would have sworn I had an ulcer.

I've only known of one person on permanent Nexium. He was taking Nexium and two other prescription tummy meds because he had unbelievably severe stomach problems. The Nexium barely touched his stomach problems and he was taking a very, very high dose and was already taking the additional two meds. I would guess that if you're feeling better after 3 days then you'll be in great shape if you finish taking all your meds like they want you to! Good luck with this - I think you'll be surprised at how well it goes after a full course of it.

Feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2006, 09:14 PM

I have had stomach problems for years and it has flaired up since my hyst. I have pain under my rib cage and it feels like a brick is in my stomach. My back aches too behind my stomach. Do any of u have this?. I'll love to take an otc drug for a cure!! I don't think there is really a cure. I have been to gastro's who have blown me off after all the tests show nothing, like, upper and lower gi and ivp. I have never had a cat scan of my stomach though, I was thinking about it . Its all such a "pain"!!!
Unread 07-08-2006, 10:23 PM

hipchick - I would encourage you to find a different doctor. I had to go through 7 before they figured out I had a dangerous bleeding disorder (everyone else thought nothing was wrong). I'm sure it won't take that many doctors for you, but you deserve a doctor who takes you very seriously and tries to give you pain relief.

Good luck with this, and I hope you feel lots better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2006, 07:26 AM

Hipchick,

Sounds like you have what I do. I also have pain in my lower back, which I have figured out to be gas. Funny, since on the Nexium, I've not have the lower back pain. Hadn't even missed it either!

Anyway, my gasto did say I could take Prilosec OTC two times a day. But then figured out that I had a co-pay on my Rx and gave me the Nexiulm.

I agree with Movingfoward. Find a new gastro. My gyn recommened mine. This gastro is in a huge medical group. And my gyn didn't say go to this group. Rather he said go see, Dr. X. Which I did. I respected my gyn enough to honor his opinion. So you might give your gyn a call and ask what gastro he suggests.

Hipchick, you didn't say what kind of hyster you had. But, I was to have a LAVH they filled me with gas. Then had to open me up with the big 8" incision. My gastro thinks the gas may have pushed up on a possible hiatal hernia stirring up all of this other. But, like I said before, I've had this hacky cough and "clearing of my throat" problem for 20+ years. So I had some symptoms, but didn't know what they were.

Also, when I lay down in bed at night, I get the cough, throat clearing and feeling up under my ribs. Gastro said to elevate the head of the bed up 4" (elevating only the pillow won't do it). DH did and I'm MUCH better. But the gastro said it would take about 3-4 months for the hacky cough to go away.

Movingforward, thanks again. I was just thinking that the Nexium would be a permanent Rx as I have 11 refills. Guess the diet will be permanent to keep the reflux down. And I'm sure once the gastro finds out that I've had symptoms for this long, he'll run some tests to see if I have any damage, etc....

Thanks again.
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Movingforward,

Woo Hoo.... you just may be right! I heard a commercial on the radio for Nexium's competitor. I LISTENED this time! Well, at the end of the commercial, it said, "normal treatment 2 months."

So maybe this is a temporary thing.....

Thanks again.
Unread 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM

Don't worry if they say you need it for THREE months or something. You're responding well to it already and that is a super-positive sign! Just finish it all no matter how great you feel. It's like antibiotics - you can't quit early. In another month or two I'd definitely check with your doc about discontinuing it if he thinks it's okay. I'd hate to see you have to take it longer than you need to as it's nice, strong stuff. I bet you'll do great on it!!!
Unread 07-09-2006, 08:33 PM

thanks everyone for all the info. I had a bikini cut about 6" long. Its all healed and looks great. I asked my gyno if she loaded me up with gas and she said no. Keep in touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register