how long off work - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long off work how long off work

Unread 07-03-2007, 07:10 AM
how long off work

It'll be 6 weeks for me on Friday and I couldn't possibly return to work yet. I can't sit for very long and I'm not walking very fast either - due to the repairs I had. Perhaps in another couple of weeks I'll improve that much more but I'd advise preparing for the longest time you can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
how long off work

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and retained my ovaries. I don't really understand all the abreviations you are using, anyway, I told me boss that I would be back in 4 weeks. Now I find that I am still very achy and tired. My family members have all spoken to me and asked that I please not return to work until 6 weeks after my surgery. My doctor had originally told me that I should not return to work for 6 to 8 weeks and that I have stiches I don't even know about internally. I now have to call me work and tell them I need an additional two weeks off. I work as a real estate assistant in a busy law office. I know they are having a difficult time without me and are counting down the days until I return.

Any suggestions on how I should tell them? If I did return to work at four weeks and something happened to me all of my family members and friends would be very upset with me not to mention I would have to take more time off.

Thanks in advance for your replies. - Julienne
Unread 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
how long off work

Before my TAH I was told my time off work would be 6 - 8 weeks. I thought that was excessive. I now see just why I will be off that long. My employer, if there is a drs order, won't give you a bad time.

I am hoping that my dr lets me take the full 8 off. I can see now that I just may need all that time to build my stamina back up to return to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2007, 02:41 PM
how long off work

mine is fine with doctor's order too and our disability is great. Just after 30 days your raise/bonuse is proportionately affected REGARDLESS if your performance is awesome.

But I hope I don't have to deal with being out a long period of time. We shall see -- doc apt is 7/9 and determination on next step at that point.
Unread 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM
how long off work

You would think that working for my father, I would be told to take my time to heal - nope, he expects me back to work in ONE week.

In '93 I had a myomectomy and barely felt like I could put in a full day after five weeks...

Good luck to you!!!
Unread 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM
how long off work

In one week?! He is joking right? You can't possibly return to work after one week and be okay. You need your rest and recouperation.
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:24 AM
how long off work

Hi Julienne! I don't know if you've received any help to your question "how to tell your job that you need more than 4 weeks off work." But, my suggestion is to get an off-work order from your doctor for the additional time you need. That is how my company works, anyway. If you feel you need another 2 or more weeks, your doctor should be fine with writing an order for that. Explain to him how you are feeling. My doctor gave me an off-work order for 7 weeks. I had a vag. hysterectomy with bladder repair on 5/21, and I'll be returning to work on 7/9. I totally needed those seven weeks! Other people needed less, but at my age and with low back problems, I needed the time to heal properly. I do feel ready now to go back to my desk job full-time, but nervous at the same time! I was definately NOT READY at 4 weeks - way too tired and sore!
Good luck!
Unread 07-06-2007, 11:35 AM
how long off work

I'm back at work after 2 weeks and it's killing me. I BEGGED my doctor to let me go back that soon because I had to take unpaid time off and I couldn't afford any more time than that. My job was also saying that if it had to be longer than that, I would have to resign and then reapply. I work a desk job from home, but it's so much harder than I ever imagined it would be. By the end of my shift, I'm almost in tears with the pain and I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. I'm not sure what to do now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register