Anyone have fibroids stop being a problem after menopause? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have fibroids stop being a problem after menopause? Anyone have fibroids stop being a problem after menopause?

Unread 02-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Anyone have fibroids stop being a problem after menopause?

Interesting forum, lots of good info. I am scheduled for a 1 month Lupron shot in 2 days. I had 3-month shot about 3 years ago, it stopped my heavy bleeding while it lasted and shrunk my large fibroids. Everything came back before long, I had hoped for menopause to continue the good affects of the Lupron but now I am 55 and still have very bad bleeding and 5+ large fibroids. Dr. and hope to shrink fibroids enough to have a LSH. I thought menopause would shrink the fibroids and the periods would stop--at what age?? The bleeding has gotten bad enough that something must be done. Has anyone had bad fibroids stop being a problem after menopause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Natural shrinkage with menopause ...

My surgeon told me that one only gets natural shrinkage of 10% with menopause. As to when it shows up - who knows when?

Note that according to all of the brochures, Lupron isn't used lightly or often, and the beneficial effects wear off in about a year to a year and a half. One can also have bone loss with this.

I had 3 1-month Lupron shots, which was successful in that it shrunk things about 1/3 - enough to get everything out laparoscopically. I am 52, and I came through this surgery very easily - laparoscopically is MUCH easier. At 55, I would imagine that you would want to be done with this already - I feel so much better without the watermelon and my ovaries are still doing just fine.
Unread 02-11-2007, 03:41 PM

I know there are ladies on the site who have had their fibroids shrink with Lupron, but off the top of my head I can't think of ladies here on this site who have had their fibroid problems cease after menopause. But since Hystersisters is geared toward hysterectomy support, ladies might have not posted once they didn't need a hyst. You might find information here:
Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group
Hope for Fibroids
Fibroid Network Online

We do have several Fibroid Resources were you can find helpful information as well.

Have you had a second opinion about what might be best for you? I hope this round of Lupron helps you as your last one did!

in there and many best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! You gals are great. Yeah, I am ready to be done with all this already! But I don't want to miss any golf matches or any skiing! I must say that it's getting hard to do either with all this bleeding--wost it's ever been. Carrying around a basketball is no fun either. I think I'll just bite the bullet and as soon as the fibroids shrink enough (hope they do again) I'll get the LSH. At least during the wait I found out about the LSH--didn't know about it before. Or maybe my Dr. just learned it lol. I won't expect menopause to cure me anymore.
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:39 PM

Have you asked your doctor about UAE? I had one at 52 and it took care of my fibroids. If he doesn't do them, talk to someone who does. Recovery from the UAE was a couple of days on ibuprofen. Lupron did nothing for me at all. I wouldn't have needed the hysterectomy if I hadn't developed severe adenomyosis.
Unread 02-11-2007, 05:35 PM
The TLH wasn't bad to recover from, either ...

Yeah, you'll miss some skiiing or golf - but then you're done!

I was able to drive at 10 days postop. I was able to steadily gain on walking around. All weight restrictions were lifted at my 3-week post-op checkup. Besides, if you're getting you're first Lupron shot just now, they usually target about 4-6 weeks after you're last Lupron shot to see if things have shrunk enough, and that'll be into "rock season" on the ski slopes.

Now, no more bleeding - I'm saving a bit of the leftover supplies for my daughter (just about to turn 15 - but she doesn't need them yet).
Unread 02-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Hi PattyPat,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids and then I had a LSH. I would do it all over again to have the quality of life I have now. I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 02-13-2007, 04:05 AM

I totally ditto everything ((historylady)) said, except that mine was a SAH.

All good wishes!

Unread 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks Historylady & everyone else too,

My plan (want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!) is basically what you did. I would like to have the LSH next fall to minimize missed golf and skiing. But it seems like I could do the LSH anytime because the recovery time is so much shorter than any other hysterectomy. How long till you were active again? By the way, I just got home from the hospital--got two units of packed blood. Had such heavy bleeding that my red blood cell count dropped fast enough to cause problems. Feel great now! Also had a Lupron shot yesterday-no problem there.

Pat
Unread 02-18-2007, 01:03 PM

Hi Pat,
I am new to hystersisters.. but not new to menopause. As you can see by my name! My experience with fibroids has been reoccuring. I had a myomectomy bck in 2003, where they also removed my left ovary , only to have my fibroids come back again this year. I am seeing a doctor on wednesday 2/21 to schedule a hysterectomy. And probably will have my last ovary removed. I was hoping that my fibroids wouldn't return this quickly, but I am 54 yrs. old and don't won't to be having a surgery every three years! I have seen several doctors.. each suggesting something different. The doctor that I am seeing on wednesday is the best doctor in my area. So I am anxious to see what he has to say. I already have the hot flashes.. I am hoping now that I am older .. it won't be so bad ?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register