Diminished blood flow affecting pelvis and legs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diminished blood flow affecting pelvis and legs? Diminished blood flow affecting pelvis and legs?

Unread 04-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Diminished blood flow affecting pelvis and legs?

Hi there,

I can't remember where I read this but think it was a site that actually seemed to just impose complete fear of having a Hysterectomy. I read that you have diminished blood flow to your ovaries, pelvic region and legs. Has anyone noticed this happening ( for those who've had the surgery)? My concern is flow to the legs. I apparently have deep varicose veins in my left leg. I have left leg pain most days. Only found out why last Jan when I was really sick in hospital and developed mild DVT symptoms. They found a blood clot in the superficial veins caught in a varicose vein. Will this surgery increase my leg pain? I plan to ask my surgery but he's away until the day of my surgery now. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Re: Diminished blood flow affecting pelvis and legs?

Thats the craziest thing i have ever heard.
No they only cut out the uterus and cauterize the blood vessels that were to the uterus.
Their will still be blood flow to the ovaries, it might not be as strong but they do have blood vessels. You can look up the anatomy of the uterus and such and you can see all the blood vessels and where they supply blood and such.
They don't do anything with the blood flow to the legs.
Wow these fear mongering sites do not know biology and prey on people who don't know biology.
And no your pelvic cavity won't cave in (heard that one too....an organ the size of an avocado doesn't hold anything up)
And ligaments hold intestines so they will be ok too.
hope this helps.
Take great care
Unread 04-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Heres info on ovarian blood supply from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1949171-overview

"Blood supply to the ovary is via the ovarian artery; both the right and left arteries originate directly from the descending aorta. The ovarian artery and vein enter and exit the ovary at the hilum. The left ovarian vein drains into the left renal vein, and the right ovarian vein empties directly into the inferior vena cava.

Nerve supply to the ovaries runs with the vasculature via the suspensory ligament of the ovary, entering the ovary at the hilum. Supply is through the ovarian, hypogastric, and aortic plexuses.

Lymph drainage of the ovary is primarily to the lateral aortic nodes; however, the iliac nodes are also involved."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM

All I feel I must add is that there are other sites that exist for the sole purpose of pointing out just negatives and worst case scenarios.
None of us "want" surgery but if it necessary and we have confidence in our doctor, we need support - not horror stories.
In my humble opinion, this site is about offering Support - we encourage you all to make informed decisions. Surgery is not necessary for everyone and all options should be considered.
There are some really scary articles and unreliable stories around - so when in doubt, ask your doctor. Knowledge is power, but know your sources.
The last thing you need is extra stress. Knowing my options and having reliable facts helped me make my decision. I hope it helps you too.
Hugs and good luck!
Unread 04-05-2015, 10:30 PM

Thank you steff33 and Marciamae. Guess I should have looked this up before I questioned it. The site I read ( found it again today) is definitely one to I still fear. Won't go there any more. This has been the best site by far. I realize I keep looking for stories similar to mine and they are less common it seems. Deep down I know I'm looking for the answer to pop off a page saying yes you are making all the right choices and everything will be perfect. Not reality I know. My GP called me at home today and helped ease my mind greatly. He said no that it will not increase my leg pain and will not diminish blood flow to my legs. I need to feel at peace with my choices. I trust my surgeon and my GP immensely so I have to just put my care in their hands and stop fretting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register