Da Vinci hysterectomy scheduled - 23 years old | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Da Vinci hysterectomy scheduled - 23 years old Da Vinci hysterectomy scheduled - 23 years old

Unread 03-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Da Vinci hysterectomy scheduled - 23 years old

Ok so I am 23 years old. I am a married mother of 2. My story [shortened] is I am suffering from severe adhesions and HEAVY bleeding non stop for 2 years. Since my second child in Dec 2007. I have been bleeding non stop, no birth control or pain pill helped with the bleeding or pain. My doctor told me I have my uterus attatched to my abdominal wall and also my blatter. My blatter always feels full as well as me getting constant blatter infections. i also have a very large fibroid on my uterus. I am scheduled for a Total Abdominal Hyst. On April 8th 2009. Its the Davinci bot doing the surgery I am very nervous. Im young and I know I am not having any more kids but what it going to happen after this? How will I feel? Will I go through menapause? What side affects will I have. I am also enemic due to all the bloodloss. Someone please help me im very scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2009, 07:13 PM

im about to go for a total hyster on april 8th 09. i dont know what to expect afterward. Any advice? Am I going to go through menapause! Im 23.
Unread 03-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Hi

I am glad that you have children already so that that isn't such a big blow to you.

Your experience sounds terrible. 2 Years!`Poor you!

Did the doctor tell you you had to remove your ovaries? If so, why? You will go into menopause if they remove your ovaries. Usually nowadays they try to leave them so that you *don't* go into surgical menopause. If you don't know why, ask! It's your right to know the answers to all of your questions.

Read the stories here, you will get a wide range of experiences and a much better idea of what to expect.

For the anemia, take iron. Try 'Floradix' which is a liquid and *much* easier on your stomach than the tablet form, which can make you very constipated. Eat dark green veggies and red meat, if you can. Research on google to find out which foods contain high amounts of iron. Try to minimize caffeine and sugar which can leach minerals from your system. I am a poster-child for anemia so I know how you feel - exhausted!

I know others here will help you and offer their opinions, and this board is a god-send. Keep reading and writing.

Wishing you strength,
Steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Thank You So Much Steph.
I was told they were removing the uterus and cervix so I wasnt sure how that would affect me hormone wise and menapause??? I have been trying to do research but nothing can really prepare me for whats ahead i guess. Also I wear acrylic pink and white nails will I need these removed before surg. And another question I have to drink magnesium citrate, how does that taste? im very horrible with nasty tasting things im wondering if i should request a pill form?

Thanks for everything!!!!
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM

And also do you know how long this surgery may take>?
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystersister23
I was told they were removing the uterus and cervix so I wasnt sure how that would affect me hormone wise and menapause???
Since you are keeping your ovaries, there is no need to worry about menopause. Your ovaries should continue to function for decades, until you reach the natural menopause age of around 50.

Quote:
I have to drink magnesium citrate, how does that taste? I'm wondering if I should request a pill form?
You could ask your physician if there is a pill form. I haven't heard of one...but one never knows unless the question is asked! If there is not a pill form you will just have to gag it down like the rest of us.

No one here on Hystersisters.com knows how long your surgery will last. You need to ask your doctor this question.

Unread 03-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Ok that is good news that I wont go through menopause now my surgery could be unpredictable depending on what else they find in there and if they have to remove the overies they will. Now what if they remove just one overy? Still menopause? And about the drink i dont know how ill handle that bundle of joy
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Now what if they remove just one ovary? Still menopause?
Believe it or not, even if a patient has only one ovary, that little organ can "step up to the task" and produce all the hormones she needs to feel like herself. So, I hope that you can keep at least one!

Unread 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Thats good news
Im happy to hear that :P Thank you!
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM

As long as you have part of an ovary, you would not go into menopause. I'm in the same debate. My Dr may not decide until in surgery, either. I guess we have to really trust our doctors.

If they have to remove both ovaries, you would go into surgical menopause if you don't take HRT (hormone replacement therapy). With your young age, if both ovaries must be removed, you should really consider taking hormone replacement therapy. There are a lot of HRT options that are almost the same as natural hormones. There is a forum on here about it - the Hormone Jungle??

For the bowel prep drink, I did the orange flavor. I've heard the lemon is awful. The orange tasted like really concentrated Gatorade. I chugged that, and then "chased" it with Sprite. It's not enjoyable, but it is doable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register