TAH Adhesive issues! What should I do to remove sticky residue? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adhesive issues! What should I do to remove sticky residue? Adhesive issues! What should I do to remove sticky residue?

Unread 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Adhesive issues! What should I do to remove sticky residue?

I have an incision infection with the dressing being changed 2x a day -- I'm at the point where it feels like my skin is peeling away when ever the surgical tape holding the dressing gets removed, and I have all this sticky residue that I can't seem to clean off.

Does anyone know of a way to keep a dressing in place on a bikini-line incision without tape? Or of a good way to clean the sticky stuff off gently?

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Re: Adhesive issues! What should I do to remove sticky residue?

My Dr. removed the dressing in the hospital and told me after my shower to use a blow dryer on it on the cool setting and then use baby powder. My incision was glued with seristips.
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear -- it's a dressing made out of gauze pads that's covering a place where my doctor re-opened my incision and put drainage material in. The packing material and gauze pads are what get changed 2x a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM

They have non adhesive bandages I found by curad for people that have allergies to adhesives. I had the same thing and found a big bandaid to keep the dressing on, and it comes off easier than tape or adhesive bandaids. Hope that helps
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:10 PM

OH sorry I never had drainage material! Just the original incision.
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM

maybe nail polish remover would take it off?
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM

I was able to tuck the dressing over the incision right under my lovely belly flap...the flap of skin held the dressing in place nicely, as long as I was not too active....

I too had an infection that was open and had to be changed twice a day and my skin felt like it was on fire when we would remove the tape...I just started not using any tape and trying to be real still....it worked...
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM

I also have very sensitive skin and found that a bit of baby oil on a cotton pad removes the adhesive residue without irritating the skin. Just be sure to clean off the baby oil before you re-tape, I either use antibacterial cleanser on a wash cloth (and rinse with a clean cloth) or hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad and then lightly blow dry the area before I retape.

I have a hand-held shower head so I gently rinse the area every morning until the adhesive tape gets soaked (I'm keeping tape strips on the entire incision, no gauze). Then when I get out of the shower I am able to peel off the tape more easily so I can apply fresh tape (and use the before-mentioned tips as needed).

To help ease some of the irritation you are experiencing, perhaps you can use the shower technique once a day to help make the removal easier.

Happy healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register