countdown to the castle has begun and I'm feeling very crabby | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

countdown to the castle has begun and I'm feeling very crabby countdown to the castle has begun and I'm feeling very crabby

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
countdown to the castle has begun and I'm feeling very crabby

Well today begins my countdown for my surgery which is Wednesday. The doctor has started me on a liquid diet as of today with a clear liquid diet tomorrow. Tomorrow is my date with the commode as that's when I start my bowel prep. The instructions said that caffeine is a no-no when on the clear liquid diet, so I had to enjoy my last cup of morning coffee today and say goodbye to it for a few days. I don't know why I'm so crabby today. Probably in part to what's in store for me this week and partly because of being on the liquid diet. It's 4pm on my first day and I'm already hungry, lol. Can't imagine what I'll be like come Wednesday. Unfortunately my surgery isn't until noon and so my worry is that come that day, I'll be hungry and thirsty on top of being anxious. Right now I'm not nervous, but I'm sure things will be different come tomorrow night.

Anyone else in my boat right now? Caris, how are you holding up? I'm already tired of sherbert and water ice. What is or has everyone else used to help kill their hunger pangs?

Lumpygus
Can't wait to get to that darn castle on 7/29!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Re: countdown to the castle has begun and I'm feeling very crabby

Hi

You know, stress can cause us to behave in ways that we normally wouldn't. Then, I know I make it worse when I start feeling guilty because of my behaviour.

To add on top of the normal stress of facing this surgery, you are further stressing your body with all the pre-op prep "stuff" and maybe even a little caffeine withdrawal.

I'm not experiencing this right now, but I'm sure others will be along soon who can share with you. I just wanted to pass along a big to make you feel a little better.

Kay
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:15 PM

Just chiming in to say that I know how it is, I remember cracking a joke to someone that I was sitting at home, drinking my "chicken juice" (broth). I think it's just knowing you can't eat solid food, and none of us like that lack of control. I was sick of jello before it was all over, too. But, in hindsight, it really went fast and made things so much easier in the days after surgery. My first BM was gentle and I know it was b/c of all the prep work.

Best of luck and heal quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 03:15 PM

I was lucky & didn't have to go through any of that. Just stopped by to wish you my best!
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:08 PM

I had my pre-op appt today no prep for me just nothing to eat or drink after midnight tomorrow night. surgery not till 2pm on wed. but I'm thinking about not eating after 2 tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I will drink alot of water.
Best of luck to you.
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM

I didn't have to do anything other than stop eating/drinking at midnight the night before. I just wanted to mention that after not having caffeine on the day of my surgery or the next day, I had a very bad headache. One of the nurses said maybe it was caffeine withdrawal and sure enough the next day I had coffee with breakfast and it went away. None of this is fun stuff but it's short term and ultimately worth it. Hang in there
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Thank you girls for your advice. I'm sure I'll be glad that all I had were liquids for 2 days prior to the surgery. It sounds like having a BM after surgery is a huge milestone, one of which I hope to hit quickly and easily!

Hugs
lumpygus
PS Good luck to you too Loislane. See you on the recovery boards!
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:49 PM

I don't know if this is a comfort or not but I never did get constipated. I was so worried about it. I got diarrhea instead. You never know. You do get through it all though no matter what it is. Best wishes.
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:15 PM

(((Lumpygus))) and (((loislane123)))

Best Wishes and :hugs5:
May you each have a smooth and uneventful recovery!!

Linda
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:19 AM

Lumpygus and loislane123
Best wishes for your surgery and may you both have an easy and speedy recovery!!
Hugs,
Suzanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register