concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-11-2004, 03:55 PM
concerns

Hi I'm new here and have some concerns about upcoming surgery. I am 34 years old and diag. with endo 1 1/2 taers ago at which time I lost my left ovary. I have tried it all the cbc, lupron etc. these things were just temporary relief. now things are getting worse, constant pain for 3-4 weeks worse when its time for period, so bad my dr put me on prescription pain med. and scheduled a complete hysterectomy(TAH BSO) on June 30 @ 9am. What should I expect after surgery(besides pain)? I have seen in the Hyster Sister store the belly swelly band, is this something that would help to keep me comfortable? What else should I look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2004, 04:40 PM
concerns

Pillows, pillows, and more pillows. They will help keep you comfortable. It is hard to find a comfortable position the first couple of days that your home.

Upper body strength is a must, to move around get up etc. No bending allowed and no lifting. You may want a toilet seat that sits up a little higher than normal, it can get a little rough to sit on a low seat and then get back up.

It's really not all that bad though. You will be just fine, keep thinking positive thoughts and become a princess.
Unread 06-11-2004, 04:49 PM
concerns

I just went to Wal-Mart and got some comfy gowns / dresses and wore them for about a month and a half without panties . Make sure you find the right pain reliever for you and take them ! if they don't work be sure to tell your doctor .. my doc gave me an antinflammitory too Bextra 200 mg ..these helped alot too . I had Darvocets & Vicodins which I switched off using .. light flowing gowns / dresses , and yes lots of pillows and other people to help you get out of bed ...I also do not have a shower ..I showered the day I left the Hospital at the Hospital .. then waited a few days and filled my tub up just below my belly and used a cup to bathe . Good Luck ! Be Well ! Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2004, 06:16 PM
concerns

You can never have too many pillows! Everywhere I went, I had a pillow with me for hte first 2 weeks. You will need one when coughing, sneexing (OUCH), and laughing. I needed them for sitting and laying down. I still haev to have pillows for sitting. I can't sit up too well yet thanks to an infection going on. Also, have pillows for sleeping. I had one between my legs and also under my legs. I couldn't go without any leg support. Yrust me...you will need those pillows.

Also, comfy clothes! I still can't wear anything with a zipper. I have to have elastic or drawstring waist pants, shorts and skirts. When I first got home...I wore BIGG underwear cause I still needed a pad. I wore pajamas and didn't care what I looked like cause i wasn't going anywhere but to the couch, kitchen, potty and back to the couch. Once you can start getting around more and going outside..you will still need those comfy LOOSE clothes! I couldn't stand anything touching the incision and still can't. I now started wearing skirts without underwear or shorts without. I don't like the feel of some of my underwear especially the lower one's. Underwear and clothes may drive you nuts for a while. It's upsetting when you can't get into much of your old clothes. I went shopping before hand and bought bigger sizes and glad I did. I spend so much time in the morning trying on clothes and getting upset. It will take a while for the swelling to go down. I'm almost 6 weeks post op now and feel like a whale.

I also came home with a binder that they gave me in the castle. I used it at first but didn't really like it. I sweat too much in it and it was uncomfortable for me. I layed around most of the time anyways for the 1st week and used those pillows.

Also, make sure you have some juice and light snacks in the house. Something to keep your energy up after the surgery. You may not feel like eating big meals so light things are good on the tummy.

Lots of luck...and a
Unread 06-11-2004, 08:06 PM
concerns

Hi
I used the swelly belly band in the castle with my doctors permission. I soaked it in ice water then wraped it in kitchen plastic wrap so my incission wouldn't get wet. I wore it under the belly band they gave me in the castle. My doctor was amazed at how much heat it drew out of the incission area and how little I swelled..he liked it and soooo did I. I am going on four weeks post op now and still use it on ocassion when I feel my stitches pulling a little..it is soothing. I also wear the belly band they gave me in the castle everyday pretty much 24/7. It along with pillows have allowed me to sleep on my side pretty much since day 1.
I have been back in my regular clothes for about two weeks now and just wrap the belly band around myself over my clothes when I'm not going anywhere. when I do go out I wear a good support girdle. and the belly band in the car..it comes off and on easy enough.
For the first few weeks and even after light loose clothing for bed is a must.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register