Lupron before a TAH?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron before a TAH?? Lupron before a TAH??

Unread 05-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Lupron before a TAH??

I am due to have my TAH on May 13th and I had taken lupron 3.75 for 2 months and was due my third shot on May 17th, my dr. never said anything about how that taken the 2 shots would afffect my surgery. He had told me before that it could take a month or longer for it to wear out of my system..has anyone else taken lupron before a TAH?? I am very worried.. I will be keeping my ovaries, just worried how lupron affects being put asleep for the surgery....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Lupron before a TAH??

Hi Bell. My doctor had me take the shots to help me with my anemia before my surgery so I think it will work out fine. I was told it would be a month or two after my surgery before my hormones would straighten out. I too, will be interested in what others have to say about this.

Thanks for asking for both of us.

Jan
Unread 05-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Lupron before a TAH??

Hi, I just took my last shot at the end of April and my surgery is scheduled for the 21st of this month (yipee!!). I have heard that hormones will be out of whack for a bit, but I'm not sure for how long. I'm curious too if anyone has completed the surgery after the shots, kept their ovaries and how long it took for hormones to level out.

Best of luck to you!

crickett283
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Lupron before a TAH??

I had my last Lupron injection in mid-March with my surgery to take place at the beginning of May. My doctor said about 6 weeks after the last injection for things to return to normal. My surgery was postponed to May 16th, and yes, the hormones are returning (7 weeks after the injection). The hot flashes are gone and judging from the cramps a couple of days ago, I am ovulating again. My fibroids also seem to have gone crazy again. I did not think that the Lupron had done anything to shrink them, but now that it is gone, I can feel the difference.

I was put on Lupron because I hope to have a myomectomy where they just cut the fibroids out, and save the uterus. My fibroids are so big though that the DR said the only hope was if I took Lupron to shrink them, and reduce the size of the blood vessels into them so I would not bleed too much during surgery, and allow them to tell 'which is the uterus and which is the fibroid'. If they can't, they will take everything out. I have done some research and found out that the Lupron can also make the fibroids kind of 'mushy' whatever that means. I think the main purpose of the Lupron is to shrink the fibroids and to reduce any problems (bleeding, pain, pressure) they are causing until your surgery date. It can also be used to treat endo, but I don't know anything about that.

I have not felt anything detrimental with the hormones coming back. Actually it has been a pleasure, since the menopause symptoms I was experiencing were unpleasant (I am 33 and had no symptoms of menopause before this).

Hope this is some help.

Pat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register