Surgeon said they wll have a hard time getting my post-op pain under control. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgeon said they wll have a hard time getting my post-op pain under control. Surgeon said they wll have a hard time getting my post-op pain under control.

Unread 07-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Surgeon said they wll have a hard time getting my post-op pain under control.

Hello Fellow Sisters,

Had my appointment witht he surgeon who will be doing what we agreed upon is a TAH/BSO with possible 'stark' procedure
( bladder repair), and scar revision from my past C-section.

I found and revised my own questions just in time to print and get to the appointment.

He said he would take out the appendix for me...but was not willing to coordinate things about the gallbladder. I probably would have to have a long vertical incision if they did do all of that. The gallbladder could be removed by laporoscopy at a later time--like 8 weeks later, he said. I suppose that's what's realy best for me and all of my conditions.

He seemed very nice and gave me all the time I needed--looked at the list and said he would take it and answer all of the questions before the surgery. There wasn't much less to discuss by then. I had made two copies--and put it in a format so things could be checkmarked, yes or no.

I'm glad I did, so I can bring one home with me and remember what we discussed. There was so much... the need for the hyst and why ablation wouldn't be of help to me(whew!), about the C-section scar and type of incision, the sinus infection and needing anti-biotics, bladder...

But when we got to the pain meds---I did write this down on the sheet--so I hope he understands about the way I need a higher dose of pain meds because I am on a chronic pain med. He did say"We are going to have a hard time getting your pain under control". Why would that be??

I will be calling up my pain management doctor about this--I do have the right to hve my pain 'under control'---don't I??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2003, 04:53 PM

You bet your bippee you have that right and I would be hesitant to set a date for surgery until all of that is coordinated! Pain control is #1 next to...well pain control IS #1 post-op and you don't want to go into anything until you are sure of the game plan...because you are already on pain meds you may require a higher dose of medication to control your pain post-op as your body is used to a blood level of medication...your pain management guy just has to get with the surgeon and come up with creative techniques, medicinal and non-medicinal NOW so you can practice the non-medicinal ones...good luck...I'm sure it will be fine once you get all the players on the field working together for you...once again YES you have the right to have your pain controlled...who wants to go into surgery wondering if the pain will be controlled after! Yikes! Surgery is hard enough without that stress! You are so right to question!
Unread 07-25-2003, 11:08 PM

FYI: you might want to check out a new device for pain management after a hyst. (go to On Q pump on the net). I saw it on the news two nights ago, called to talk to my Dr. and a rep from the company. Am having surgery on Tuesday and all was cleared today to have the pump put in. The pump places the pain medication right to the site of the incision. Obviously, I haven't had the experience yet, and as always, speak to your Dr. Just remember it is your body and you have every right to ask for whatever you need. Good luck.
Marcella

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register