Needing a quiet place | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Needing a quiet place Needing a quiet place

Unread 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Needing a quiet place

I posted the other week about being a nervous wreck since I got my surgery date. I have noticed this weekend that I keep feeling like I want to just go hide somewhere and be alone with my thoughts. Is this something most people deal with? I know I need the surgery, I know it isn't the end of the world and I am fine with having it, but what I am not fine with is all the emotions going along with it!
I think part of my problem is I am a giver not a reciever, meaning I want to take care of everyone else and I have a hard time excepting help. So in turn I try to not show my emotions and fears so I just have been staying away from people so I don't have to talk about it. Does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Needing a quiet place

Hi Kathy, you are making perfect sense to me. I fairly much kept my upcoming surgery to myself also. The weekend before my surgery I decided it would probably be a good thing to let at least one of my sisters know, besides my DH. She was very thankful that I did let her know BEFORE the surgery. My family (i.e. mom and dad) were notorious for keeping their medical procedures "secret" until after the fact. I don't know why I had such difficulty with not wanting to let my sisters know. Two of them had hysterectomies. Of course I contacted my sis who has not had a hysterectomy. If you have a friend or sibling you can talk to, you might feel a little better letting the "secret" out. I did once I heard my sister's voice. I understand exactly what you are talking about. It feels "unnatural" to seek help for one's self. Of course, chatting on this site helps alot too. I wish I had found it prior to my surgery. Good luck and keep posting!
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Needing a quiet place

Robin,
Thanks. I have told people, however I am such an emotional mess that I get upset and start to cry so I don't talk about it. Fortunatly I have a good support team. However if I hear one more person say...well it is about time..they should have done this a long time ago I am going to scream.
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Needing a quiet place

I'm glad I could help. Yeah, I forgot about that part too. I was afraid of becoming an emotional mess upon opening up about it. We women just got to hang on to that "strong" persona! Luckily, the only person who told me it was about time I had this done was my hubbie!
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Needing a quiet place

I toyed with the idea of crawling into my closet and hiding behind my slacks and skirts. I guess that is something I did as a child.
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Needing a quiet place

I too went through that, I didin't want to talk to anyone or answer their questions and especailly her their although good intentions "Dumb statements" I just needed my own space and my own time. I think if you aren't experiencing the emotions it or going through out or been through it you really can't understand how someone feels. That's why I find this site incredible everyone shares the same experiences and feelings..it's like you're all "Angels here on Earth" I felt so alone until I found this site. You need time to yourself to except what's happening but trust me you will feel much better in the end and your quality of life will be much better. We'll all be here for you now and after. Good Luck my Dear ..stay positive!!
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Needing a quiet place

Perfectly normal to want your quiet time to prepare. At first, I called all my other sisters who had had the operation (seems to be a family condition) and got advice. They were and are wonderful.. They just emphasized how much better I was going to feel and it was the best thing they could have done for themselves after years of putting it off. Good to hear.

Then I cocooned. I need to process it all. Glad I did. It helped me settle down and focus on the big picture. You do what you need to do to get your head, body and soul ready. Everyone has different processes, but we all have been there on this board and you will do fine. Just ask these wonderful women on here and they will respond. I appreciate them all so much. Good luck to you!
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Needing a quiet place

(((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))) I do not have this problem as I feel a need to be around people as much as possible right now, but may I suggest a library or a church? Both quiet places that can help to give you a place to go and be away from people you know

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register