Scheduled TAH 2 weeks till surgery - questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks till surgery - questions 2 weeks till surgery - questions

Unread 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
2 weeks till surgery - questions

The closer it gets to my surgery the more nervous and anxiety ridden I seem to be, but I also find that I have more questions every day.
The most asked question I have is what to expect in regards to surgery. The only surgeries I have ever had were c-sections and I was awake and alert for all 4, so I know that this surgery will be a lot different. Also how long should I expect to be in the hospital (on average) my dr will only tell me that I could be there for up to 6 days. What can I realistically expect in regards to recovery, I have a relatively high pain threshold and was up walking only hours after each of my c-sections I was also back to myself and wearing my own pre- pregnancy clothes one week after every surgery. I was also back to doing all of my pre surgery activities (including driving) within two weeks of each c-section but I have been told to expect this recovery to be a million times harder. What was the hardest part of your recovery? What floor were you on during your recovery? Was your spouse or other support person allowed to stay with you in the hospital? I just have 20 million questions running through my head and I am trying very hard to focus on preparing rather than worrying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Re: 2 weeks till surgery - questions

I am wondering about the recovery time too. I've also had 4 c-sections (Hi! We're kinda an elite club, aren't we?!) and was wondering how the recovery time might compare. My kids are still quite young (ages 1-9) and I'm hoping I won't be off my feet for too long.

I'm looking at Sept for my surgery so I have a ways off. Good luck to you! ((HUGS))

ETA: I just looked at your profile - are you 29 too? I am also! I love this site, I've felt so alone and it's so great to find others here! If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a hysterectomy?
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Re: 2 weeks till surgery - questions

I had a TAH on July 10th and I think two of the hardest parts of recovery for me is getting tired much easier than I thought and the constipation! Probably too much information! I have a fairly high pain threshold too and was shocked to feel better the day after the surgery than I thought. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights. I didn't have any complications during surgery. I was actually on the Maternity floor at my hospital. My mom stayed in the room with me one night (my husband went home to stay with my son) and my daughter stayed the next. I will tell you my room was private but incredibly small. There was a recliner for them to sleep in but the one my mom used was terrible (talked the nurse into switching it out the next night).

Back to the hardest part of recovery - it's so easy to feel exhausted even if you don't have any pain. One day you feel good and the next not so much. And the constipation, I didn't have a lot of appetite so that probably didn't help. Took stool softener and some MiraLax and that helped. I was given Percocet for pain and that's one of the side effects. It has been extremely hard for me to ask for/ accept help, it's not so much that I can't, I just don't think about it first and just go ahead like I am at 100%. Also, I didn't take a lot to the hospital. I did take another gown, some toiletries but as far as any entertainment- I didn't use any of it. The pain medicine really made me sleepy so I couldn't focus on any reading,etc. Hope this helps! I will keep you in my prayers! It will be done and over with before you know it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register