recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery time recovery time

Unread 08-06-2004, 03:40 PM
recovery time

I had total (removed everything on 6-14-04) I am still very tired but went back to work 8-3-04. I am trying to walk during lunch but found that I'm a little slower than before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 03:45 PM
glad you're back at it

I'm glad you are back at it. It will come, just keep on walking. Everytime I do something I get stronger and feel better. You body just needs some time to come back from those weeks of slower activities.

Every day I feel more normal and move more freely than the day before.
Unread 08-06-2004, 05:07 PM
recovery time

I had my surgery the day after you and I am more tired at week 7 than I have been the entire time.
I started job searching at week 6. Now I have decided to hold off another couple of weeks. Keep in mind that I have at least an hour and a half drive to anywhere(I live in the middle of a cornfield!!) I just don't feel up to it quite yet! It will be awhile before we are back 100%. I, too, have been trying to walk to get back in shape. I am zapped very quickly!!
Hugs
Unread 08-06-2004, 05:33 PM
recovery time

Don't want to discourage anyone, but I am 5 days shy of being 6 months post-op and I still have days that I am completely drained, and all I want to do when I get off work is come home and go to bed. Don't get me wrong, not every day is like that. I've been told many times that it takes our bodies a year to completely heal, and I find that is so true. So I just keep walking and try to eat healthy and trust that in 6 more months I will feel like myself again (LOL)!!!! Yes, it does get better. Just don't try to rush things, and let your body heal. It will tell you when to stop and get that much needed rest. Happy healing to all of you.
Unread 08-06-2004, 05:49 PM
recovery time

DARN! I'm only on my 9th day of post op and am finding out I don't really have any choice than to rest. I'm a little disappointed that I"m hearing it will take almost a year to feel better........ I was really hoping that by my next appt, (Labor Day), I'd be released to lead a somewhat normal life again. I seriously feel better now than I've felt in YEARS! For the record, I had a LAVH. Am I setting myself up for disappointment???
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:04 PM
recovery time

DocLove,

I felt better at 6 weeks post op than I had in months. But remember, most of us are not at 100% when we go in for our hysters...or we'd probably not need surgery! I was ready mentally to bounce back to a full run when I hit 6 weeks, but my body let me know otherwise. It often takes that full 6-12 months for our bodies to get to 100%. For some of us, it's been so long since we've been totally healthy that I think we expect too much too soon.

While I was released from light duty at work at 3 months, I still had days when I would go home totally wiped out. Each month I would see an improvement and be amazed at how much better I kept feeling. It was between 9 and 10 months that I stopped and thought, "WOW!!! You'd never know I had surgery!" No aches or pains, no HRT problems. I never knew I could feel this great!!

Hang in there. Sometimes it does get very frustrating waiting for that magical "I'm 100% feeling," but it will come.

Good healing and s
Cat
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:08 PM
recovery time

DocLove
If you now feel better than you have in years, then you have already accomplished a great deal, huh? Good for you! That's what we want to hear!
Basically, you should feel like yourself in a few short weeks...yourself with possibly a little more fatigue than usual.
By Labor Day, you might feel absolutely fabulous!!
I, personally, have been through 3 surgeries in the last 5 months. The anesthesia is taking it's toll.
At 7 weeks post-op from a TAH, I already feel as if I am leading a somewhat normal life again, just tiring a little more easily than before.
We didn't intend to give you such a scare!
HUGS
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:10 PM
recovery time

I was back to work on July 19 after a LAVH on June 25th. I still get tired some days, but for the most part, feel wonderful! I sometimes forget that I had the surgery (like when I am picking up a heavy laundry basket and my stomach goes HEY! That kinda hurts!). I don't exercise, and I know that I should. I didn't before my surgery because I was just in too much pain. I had endometriosis implants on my uterosacral ligament that had to be removed, so I still have some muscles in my back that are healing, but other then that, I feel like standing on my roof and shouting " I FEEL GOOD!"
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:11 PM
recovery time

So tell me this, in all honesty.....okay? I'm sooooooooo bored staying at home. My church is having a Comedy Club tomorrow night and I'm DYING to get back to church on Sunday. Would that be totally overdoing it for only 9 days postop?? Am I doing more harm than good?
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:17 PM
recovery time

Will someone be driving you? Will you have a comfortable place to sit (lounge)? Will you be able to leave early if you should feel tired or uncomfortable?

From all I've heard an LAVH is "easier" to recover from. I know I couldn't have done that 9 days after my SAH/BSO, but you know your body best.

If you can go and be babied...do nothing but come in and relax comfortably, I'd be very tempted to go for it.

Enjoy!
s
Cat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register