Newbe here... LSH on 7/27/10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbe here... LSH on 7/27/10 Newbe here... LSH on 7/27/10

Unread 07-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Newbe here... LSH on 7/27/10

Hello ,

I've been reading here for a while but never registered and posted until today. My surgery is scheduled for July 27th and I'm having a LSH.

I'm getting so nervous about my surgery. Hard for DH to understand and even harder for me to explain.

I'm worrying about everything from weight gain and orgasms after surgery to just kind of freaking out about "losing" my uterus. It is hard to explain to DH and it sound crazy to me too. He keeps asking me why I'm depressed and to tell him what I'm thinking about.

The internet and reading about other peoples experiences both helped me and scared me too. I noticed on this site that most that had sexual problems after surgery had a total hysterectomy.

That's what drove me to get the LSH is what I've read about sexual problems after TAH. My DH and I have always had a great sex life and I don't want that to change. When I asked my doctor (female) about a LSH she told me she had a Vaginal Hysterectomy and never had a problem. Then she said she had never done many LSH (especially on someone who has had a tummy tuck) and she was concerned about it etc... Then she said she'd have another doctor in her group do the surgery if I had to have a LSH. Then she changed it again and said she would do it.

I began searching the internet and found information on a doctor at USF that does them. He was brought to the college from PA to start their laproscopic surgery center. He teaches other doctors how to do the surgery. I made an appointment with him and he was really great. So now my surgery is scheduled for next week and he is doing it.

That alone made me feel much better.

Thanks for all the info. This site is wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Re: Newbe here... LSH on 7/27/10

Hi Jean-
I just had an LSH on 7/8. I also did a lot of research and learned to trust my own instincts. Even though I am 57, I'm very "young", in great shape, extremely healthy, have never had children, and am with a partner where I certainly want to continue to "feel my youngness" if you know what I mean. The debate about whether having your cervix removed affects sexuality is a big one, but my research and personal feelings made me insist on keeping mine ( this is MY truth, I realize there are others) and I am glad I did. I am recovering great now, have some incisions that are already looking great and I am having to force myself to take it easy. My biggest issue after surgery (and most women it seems, from the post-op forum) is bloating, constipation and gas. That will pass, with stool softeners, water, fiber, and walking. It's also ESSENTIAL (to me) that you find a doctor that you trust and knows what they are doing, as well as addressing all of your fears. I went to 4 other doctors until I find mine, a woman, who was fabulous.

I also had tons of emotions about losing my uterus, whether I ever had or wanted kids or not. I had to wait over 3 three months from the time of my pre-cancer diagnosis until surgery! It was hell. I also did not have the recommended procedure (cervix, ovaries, and uterus out). I'm not recommending that for others, that is just what I had to do. It's natural to grieve, and I'm sorry your DH does not understand- is it possible to get him to go to someone with you who can explain what this means to a woman? If not, please use these forums- they also saved my sanity. My guy has been amazing, and taken care of me for the last 10 days. He's limited in how much he can understand, but WE understand, and ANY kind of emotion, for as long as you have them, is "normal!" I already am starting to feel sexy again, and my sex drive feels the same as it did. I will say that I use HRT (the cause of my cancer) so that really, really helps! As I put on the post-op forum, I just wish I could DO something about it- I have to wait for 6 weeks after surgery! Other than that, my body honestly feels the same, inside and out. I hope that helps, and write or PM me anytime!
I am sending you hugs.
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to get over the anxiety I am having. I really feel like I am having a mild anxiety attack if I dwell on it. So I try not to think about it too much. Not always easy to do... lol.

My DH is great too, he's really trying but I just don't think he can understand that weird feeling of loss about losing the uterus. Somethings I just think I'm overreacting, I've had 2 kids and in my 40's. My tubes have been tied for over 11 years so I don't "need" it. But... (I guess that is why it's hard to explain) ...

I've had Adenomyosis (enlarged boggy uterus with heavy periods) for a long time. Lately I've been having 14 day periods with a week or two off and it starts up again. The thing I'm hoping will go away with the surgery the most is the heavy, mass feeling in my abdomen. Sometimes it feels like I have a 8 lb bowling ball in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean001 View Post
...The thing I'm hoping will go away with the surgery the most is the heavy, mass feeling in my abdomen. Sometimes it feels like I have a 8 lb bowling ball in there.
I used this EXACT analogy yesterday (including the weight of the bowling ball) to describe what I'm feeling inside to my sister! I know how you feel. Always having that feeling of something in there no matter what you're doing. Always pressing on your bladder and other organs. Just sitting there like a lump, taking up space and making your life miserable!

As Shakespeare wrote.. "Out, darned spot!" or something to that effect
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:39 AM

Jean-
I know what you mean about the bowling ball- that's exactly how I felt for the first week after surgery due to the bloating, etc. Your anxiety is absolutely normal, and I had quite a bit of it as my surgery approached. No matter how much I prepared both physically and emotionally, I was really scared. Writing here helped. I suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and this surgery really had me triggered. I started sleeping less than usual and feeling panicky. I finally went to my psych doc and she gave me some Adavan. I NEVER take stuff like that, and ended up only takin 1/2 of one at one point, but it was nice to have them just in case and to know my doc really understood.

I am hoping that your surgery clears your symptoms. After your surgery there will be a thread on the post-op forum just for you and the women who had surgery during your week. It's great because you can say ANYTHING at all, and describe bodily functions going on and symptoms that you wouldn't be able to talk about most other places!

I am sending you the warmest of thoughts for healing.
Your fellow LSH Hyster Sister!
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Hey - newbie here, I have my surgery (LSH) on Wed. - thank goodness! I have had the bloating and "feeling pregnant" for a couple months now. No feelings of grief or loss here - glad to get it done! I would love to fit into some of my clothes again!
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM

No surgery yet & I'm so glad I'm not the only one having that feeling of being pregnant. I don't know how to explain it to my friends. But I know what I'm feeling & it feels like something is in there & There is so much pressure & weight @ times. Thank you hyster sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register