I'm SOO ITCHY | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm SOO ITCHY I'm SOO ITCHY

Unread 04-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm SOO ITCHY

Hello,
Well it has been 7 week since my surgery. I am back to work, but I can't focus long enough without my incision driving me crazy. It is sooo itchy and irritating. My incision is 5 and half inches long from my belly button down. It is getting wider and wider. I believe it is turning keloid. I sometimes have a buldging muscle. To keep the muscle in, I need to wear support under ware. (aren't they sexy). But then starts the itch, oh my god it is horrible. I actually can't wear anything touching my large incision without it itching and getting irritated. It actually hurts. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Re: I'm SOO ITCHY

Warning: This might sound strange, but it worked for me. I only had a small incision, but when it itched, I would simply grab two of the Kleenex brand large tissues and put them right in my underwear over the incision. They provided a soft cushion, kept the area dry and just plain felt good. Just bunch them up a bit and put them over your incision. They breath and are sterile coming from the box. Just replace them often during the day. I did this for the first few weeks of my recovery and it worked wonderfully. I had tissue tucked in my underwear until I fully healed. I hope it works for you. It has to be Kleenex brand - plain, and soft. I think the itching comes from any moisture over the incision - i.e. sweat. Are the support underwear that you are wearing made of synthetic material that doesn't breath? If so, this works! It helps keep the area dry.
Unread 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried everything. It is not about soft breathable fabric. Anything touching the skin on both sides of the incision is irritating. Sometimes I wake up to it itching so bad and I sleep naked. I will get temporary relief with ice. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM

If it's itching so badly you can't focus, I would have your doctor have a look. You may have an infection brewing in or under your incision and if you do, the sooner they catch it the better off you are.

Let us know what the doctor says, OK?

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM

OK I will let you all know. I go next week.
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:28 PM

I might ask the doctor if he thinks you could take some Benadryl for right now. I would certainly talk to your doctor to let them know of these symptoms even though you see them next week. I had an appointment on a Thursday when I was recovering and started having a lot of itching and pain on Monday night. Called the doc and he saw me in the am and found out I had an infection that needed antibiotics. Hope you feel better. Sending gentle hugs to you.
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Make sure you ask your doctor if that really is a muscle bulging out sometimes. Could be an incisional hernia.
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM

I seen the Dr. 4 days ago for the same thing, I feel it is more on an alergic reaction to something, mine has been red and itchy for 2 weeks. they said its not an infection sutures look good, they used no stitches or staples, just glue on outside. My dr put me on clindamycin(antibiotic),
medrol dose pack (steriod), benidryl at night (2 tabs) to sleep and not scratch, and a cream simular to cortizone over the counter cream (but not in the insition just around the area. I know what you mean, the itching was driving me nuts!!! had TAH 3/25. its feeling much better now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register