The Hysterectomy Recovery That Went On and On | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Hysterectomy Recovery That Went On and On The Hysterectomy Recovery That Went On and On

Unread 01-24-2015, 06:27 PM
The Hysterectomy Recovery That Went On and On

I had a complete hysterectomy on November 24, 2014 due to fibroids. The plan was to have a robotic hysterectomy with a three week recovery since my husband was in assisted living due to young onset Parkinson's disease with dementia. The surgeon found my uterus to be 25% larger than any uterus they had removed with the DaVinci technique before. The surgical team ended up deciding to do an additional horizontal 4 inch mini-lap incision two inches above my belly button in order to get everything out. I was under anesthesia for seven and a half hours.

A week after my surgery, the mini lap incision opened up and home health came in every day to pack it and change the dressing while a wound vac was ordered. Three weeks later and while still waiting for the wound vac, I began running a fever and was hospitalized and put on broad spectrum IV antibiotics while the wound was cultured and sensitivities were run. I had already had allergic reactions to two different prophylactic antibiotics. I was put on clindamyecin for a Strep A infection for two weeks and the wound vac finally arrived and was attached. After two more weeks and the original 7 cm tunnel only filling in to 5.6 cm, I was referred to a wound healing center. I am now on the wound vac again for another 2 1/2 weeks and if that does not work then I am facing hyperbaric oxygen therapy which scares me due to the risks.

During this time, my husband has fallen at least 20 times and finally broke his collarbone. After a several day hospitalization, he is now getting skilled nursing care at a nursing home. It is hard to know how much all this stress has contributed to the slow healing. I also believe I had the infection since the point when the wound opened and that it went undiagnosed due to a high pain threshold and not usually running a fever until I am half dead.

I was running out of leave so my supervisor is allowing me to work at home with a laptop during this second wound vac course but I am so ready to be well and get my life back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Re: The Recovery That Went On and On

Sorry to hear about your set-backs and your hubby's condition. You certainly have been through a lot and I think stress has played a part in your slow recovery.

Try to take good care of yourself with a good diet and getting as much rest as you can.

We are thinking of you!
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:08 AM
Re: The Hysterectomy Recovery That Went On and On

Bless your heart. Praying for recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Wow, you have had such a rough time. Sending healing wishes your way.
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Thank you, ladies! I have tried to rest as much as possible and follow doctor's orders. One night I was thinking that even though my husband's increasing illness had made for a rather miserable 2014, I wanted my miserable life back! I am sure it is more of a feeling that I have no control over my life right now although I realize we have very little real control. Thank heavens for a good sense of humor!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register