Would you do anything if... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would you do anything if... Would you do anything if...

Unread 08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Would you do anything if...

I was given undissolvable stitches (permanent) in my stomach skin. They were supposed to be pulled out no problem, but they snapped right towards the end. The doctor said I have about a half inch still in me...forever...and he said not to worry about it. He said that I probably wouldn't have even noticed if he hadn't told me. Of course, I'm not happy about it...I was wondering if you would be OK with this if it happened to you, or if you would try to do something about it. My aunt, who's a nurse, said the doctor would think I'm nuts if I asked him to remove them, and that this in not uncommon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM

i wouldnt worry about it. do they bother you at all? cause any pain? if they dont, i'd forget they were there. you wouldnt have known unless he had told you.
obviously if they are causing you discomfort, they should be removed.
Unread 08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I do feel them...

maybe that will go away. I basically want to ask him if there's a possibility I could have them removed in the future and if there would be any potential problems with that, but I don't want to annoy him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 11:07 AM

SciFi, you've got nothing to lose by asking your doctor anything. Do so, I'm sure you won't be the first woman asking him such a question, and I would hope/expect that he will be as sensitive and honest as possible with you as he should be! Answering questions is part of a doctor's job whether or not they want or like to. And asking questions is part of your job as a patient in order to ensure your best recovery possible.
Unread 08-15-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFi
I was given undissolvable stitches (permanent) in my stomach skin. They were supposed to be pulled out no problem, but they snapped right towards the end. The doctor said I have about a half inch still in me...forever...and he said not to worry about it. He said that I probably wouldn't have even noticed if he hadn't told me. Of course, I'm not happy about it...I was wondering if you would be OK with this if it happened to you, or if you would try to do something about it. My aunt, who's a nurse, said the doctor would think I'm nuts if I asked him to remove them, and that this in not uncommon.
I am sorry this has happened to you, but let me share something that occured in my own family. My son had surgery as an infant. Part of one stitch also was not removed and stayed inside of his body. He had no problems with it at all. It did make its way, on its own, to the surface close to eight or nine years later. We simply pulled it out, let the doctor check him over, and all was well. No problem at all. It never hurt, never caused a sore, nothing.

If you are concerned, you can always seek a second opinion regarding the situation but my guess is you will be just fine.

s
Unread 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks

I know it's not a huge deal, but it's still stressing me out!
Unread 08-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Ask away

OK, I just had to share the question I was afraid to ask my doctor....when I was 26, I had my gall bladder removed. I never had surgery before, didn't know what to expect...afterwards, I found out a metal clip was used to clamp down the tube leading to the gall bladder & that it was left in. I guess the surgery is just done this way, common procedure. But it freaked me out knowing that I had this metal in me so I asked my doc if I would set off alarms in the airport He politely told me that it wasn't an issue & he didn't even laugh at me for which I was greatly relieved...so definitely, ask away if it makes you uncomfortable. Your doc is a professional, he'll understand!
Unread 08-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, I asked him...

He was very nice about it. He assured me it was no big deal. I still kind of want them out though. I'm the type of person that is very easily bothered by things like this. I know I shouldn't be, and I know there are much worse things, but I feel that if something can be fixed, what's the big deal. I mean, I had a HUGE incision--what's a little cut gonna do? It just bugs me that it seems like the skin is pulling a little and I don't like the way it looks. Sort of like a pulled seam on a skirt (not that noticeable, but still). Arghhh. I hate being like this, and I hate that I'm probably gonna ask him to remove it at my next follow-up, but THAT'S JUST HOW I AM! I guess what I'm looking for is other people to tell me that how I'm feeling is normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register