Asthma concern | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Asthma concern Asthma concern

Unread 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Asthma concern

::

I'm scheduled for a LAVH on 6/9. I'm 51 yo and have never had major sugery. I have asthma and I'm concerned about having anesthesia. Anyone else have any experience in this regard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Re: Asthma concern

I'm new too! My surgery is scheduled for 6-3-09 - I'll be sending you happy thoughts! I've had asthma all my life (44 years) and many, many surgeries, including two brain tumors. As long as you speak with the anaesthesiologist and have all your medications on board ahead of time, you should do great! Just remember afterwards that you keep coughing when they tell you to and drink lots of fluids. Best wishes~
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Thank you for your reassurances! I developed asthma when I was 17 and have had some problems over the years, but it's under control now and I haven't had an asthma attack in probably 8 years. Good luck to you, also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Hi kgrammy and

Although I don't have asthma, my doctors and nurses were wonderful at paying good attention to a couple of my medical conditions (reflux and post-anesthesia vomiting). They triple-checked my medications and made sure to ask me specifically about those conditions and whether I was comfortable.

If you have a pre-op conversation with someone at the hospital (mine was a pre-registration phone conference), you can ask about this specifically and get some information and reassurance.

I'm glad you found us here!

:hugs5:
Unread 05-29-2009, 06:53 PM

I just had a TAH/LSO this week, on the 26th.. I have asthma and I continued to take my mainteance medication.. My doctor and I discussed my asthma before the surgery.. he said they would keep a close eye on me . They give you the spirometer,, to breath into after surgery to keep your lungs clear and if necessary they would give me breathing treatments and oxygen.. The first night they had me on oxygen because I was on the pain medication.. but never had any problems.. good luck
Barb
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM

HI, I have pretty bad asthma and was under anesthesia for 8 hours. I talked to the anesthesia dr and asked him how he would handle my lungs doing the surgery. He explained to me that he would keep a very close eye on me and give me a breathing treatment through the ventilator if needed. When I received the hospital bill I noticed that i was given a treatment while I was under anesthesia. I never knew it and didn't have any problems after the surgery.
Good luck and relax, the anesthesiologist has been trained for these types of surgeries.
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:49 AM

Hi, I too have Asthma. I am 56 years old and had my op. 13 months ago. The anaesthiologist told me to continue with my maintainance steroid inhaler as normal on the day of the op. and just before I went to the OR to take two puffs of my reliever med. which I did and I was absolutely fine afterwards. I did have oxygen for the first day but then so did everyone else on the ward (I live in the UK) and I imagine that was standard practice. I wish you all the very best, for me the waiting was by far the worst part of the whole thing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register