Hysterectomy on July 7, contemplating removal of cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy on July 7, contemplating removal of cervix Hysterectomy on July 7, contemplating removal of cervix

Unread 06-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Hysterectomy on July 7, contemplating removal of cervix

HI Ladies,

I love this sight and have found so much information thanks to everyone's post. Im 30 years old will be having the Davinci partial hysto In July, leaving my ovaries. My doctor wants to remove the cervix but I heard that the cervix is what helps you climax.

So my question for all is this true? Has relations after surgery been better or worse? Right now my husband and I are at a stand point. I have no libido, bleed in between periods and it hurts to have sex. So since its so complicated we dont have relations.

My doctor said things will get better after surgery. any suggestions?

Im having this procedure done because they found that my endometriosis have worsen and now I have an enlarged uterus and adenomyosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Re: Hysto on July 7, contemplating removal of cervix

There doesn't seem to be one answer for all women -- which complicates your decision, unfortunately. :-( Some women have it removed and don't miss it. For some, having it bumped during sex either doesn't do anything for them or actually hurts, and getting rid of it is a bonus. Others find that they enjoy sex with it, and opt to keep it. And some women just don't like the idea of having their vagina sort of ... dead-end on them.

However, I have seen some women here with adenomyosis say that that disease is part of what inflamed their cervix in the first place, and having the thing removed actually made sex fun and enjoyable for them for the first time.
Unread 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Re: Hysterectomy on July 7, contemplating removal of cervix

Thank you for your reply. I was more sure about my hysterectomy decision when I went to my doctor. But as I started mentioning my procedure to family and friends they started to scare me with stories and old wives tales.

I'm so glad this site is here to ease my mind. I am sure that my doctor is right. I have abnormal cells on the cervix , but he told me not to worry that it wasn't cancer. He wants to take the cervix out to avoid bleeding and pain during intercourse.

I hope this journey helps me in the long run. I so want to feel young and vibrant again. The back pain and feeling lethargic all the time is awful.

Thank you so much for your input.
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Sometimes I think getting a hysterectomy is like buying a motorcycle. Everyone crawls out of the woodwork to scare the pants off you with horror stories. *hug*
Unread 06-20-2014, 01:06 PM

I haven't been released for intercourse yet, but I can assure you, in my case anyway, orgasms are just as strong as before.

I was also experiencing some pain and bleeding with intercourse prior to surgery due to a mild prolapse of my cervix, so I'm really looking forward to being rid of that issue.
Unread 06-20-2014, 08:03 PM

I had my cervix removed was always tender and path showed it be full of cysts and inflamed. Now I don't miss it bei ng bumped. O's are still good and easier to a get. I had extensive adeno and was very sick w it. You mite miss the uterine contractions, but you get used to it. No probs w anything else.
Unread 06-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Vaginal dryness has been my only issue, easily resolved with a little lube. My husband and I are actually having a better sex life than ever - could be because we are in a place of less stress and also not having to deal with periods and birth control is also an upside. Take it slow and use the time after recovery to rediscover each other (jeez - I sound like my gyn!)
Unread 06-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Hi! I'm 37 and just had my davinci TLAVH 10 days ago.

How it would affect intercourse was a very big concern for me. We have a very healthy sex life(usually daily)

I tried to talk the dr into keeping my cervix, but am glad he encouraged me to decide for myself. I have endo and have always had issues with pain and intercourse, but not so much that it kept me from enjoying it.
But in the last few years I'd notice spotting/cramping after intercourse. I was unsure it was related to my cervix for sure. I got my post op pathology(part of it anyhow but will know more Thursday when I see the dr) and my cervix was definitely a problem soooo very very glad I took it out.
The cervix is the lower part of the uterus, so if I had adenomyosis in my uterus, leaving my cervix would essentially be leaving part of that behind.

As far as sex now, I can't comment as I'm not far enough out to say. I did have an orgasm in my sleep at 6dpo and it felt the same for the most part.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious to see how things work post op

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register