Any TVH ladies have this problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any TVH ladies have this problem? Any TVH ladies have this problem?

Unread 05-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Any TVH ladies have this problem?

I didnt think after having a organ taken out my stomach would stay swollen its pretty flat in the morning but by eve's end its huge. I thought having a TVH the belly probs wouldnt be half as bad as a SAH... does anyone know what I could do for this and how long to expect it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2005, 11:26 PM

Hi Kim Sometimes, when your belly is flat in the morning and swelly by evening, it's your body's way of telling you you may be doing too much. Have you tried taking it a little easier, spending some time with your feet up, especially later in the day, to see if that helps?

IMHO whether the surgery was vaginal or abdominal doesn't seem to make a difference in how much 'swelly belly' we get; the internal work is pretty much the same with either surgery.

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-26-2005, 11:40 PM

Hi Kim! My surgery was 5/17 and I have had a swelly belly too. For me I attribute it to the fact that I am having a hard time with bowel movements. But then again, it isn't hard so I don't know....all I do know is the same thing is happening to me and you are not alone!!! Sorry I don't have any tips, I look forward to reading the other responses to your thread.
Much love,
Kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2005, 12:28 AM

TVH...Yep, Swelly belly... Yep too! I lay down a lot, it seems worse when I am up too long especially early on, (not as bad this week(8th), but I seem to be a bit on the slow side for healing). An ice pack on my pelvic area really soothed after about 15 minutes. A bag of frozen peas is VERY comfortable, just keep re-freezing them... don't forget and cook 'em for dinner though. Ibuprophen and LOTS of rest.

's to you,

Cathy (GGG)
Unread 05-27-2005, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by naturallyhappy3
Hi Kim! My surgery was 5/17 and I have had a swelly belly too. For me I attribute it to the fact that I am having a hard time with bowel movements. But then again, it isn't hard so I don't know....all I do know is the same thing is happening to me and you are not alone!!! Sorry I don't have any tips, I look forward to reading the other responses to your thread.
Much love,
Kara
Hi
My surgery was 5/18. I too have had a hard time with bowel movements. I started taking Senna but find it overstimulates the bowel but if I take nothing than there is no action. I think all the inflamation & gas related to constipation creates the bloated stomach. I find some times worse then others. I'm taking things pretty slow. Take care!
Tage
Unread 05-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy & Swelly Belly

Hi
I had my uterus only removed vaginally & wondered about "swelly belly". At first I thought it was for abdominal hys only but I think problems with bm, constipation & gas all attribute to the swelly belly though maybe not to the extent as abdominal sugery. What does everyone else think?
Tage
Unread 05-27-2005, 04:33 PM

I had a laparascopically assisted tvh and have just been non-stop swelly - and it's been so much worse since I've been back to work. It's just swollen out to a certain point and doesn't deflate much from there. Maybe an inch over night. My dr. said it just takes time, time, time to go away.
Unread 05-27-2005, 08:57 PM

I too have very swelly belly! I am 12 weeks post op and had a TVH with bladder and bowel repairs. I really notice it the worst at bedtime and am sure I'm over doing it. Good luck to you, and if you find a cure......I'm all ears!

TVH/bowel/bladder/perineum repairs. Kept ovaries but not cervix.
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:16 PM

I am 4 months post-op and have noticed I seem to be back to my old self...it was a gradual thing for me...varies in everyone I guess...some don't have it...most seem to have swelly belly. For me it didn't seem to make a difference if I took it easy or not, because I ALWAYS took it easy ..guess it paid off because I can do anything now that I did before.

It will go away..promise!!!

Unread 05-28-2005, 09:01 AM

My hyst was almost 4 weeks ago and my belly swells as the day progresses. I cannot wear jeans as it is just too uncomfortable. By nighttime I feel like I am about 8 mos pregnant my belly is so swollen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register