Cramping Calfs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cramping Calfs Cramping Calfs

Unread 06-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Cramping Calfs

Hey everyone!
I'm 12 days post op after a TAH baseball-size fibroid causing all sorts of problems, but I'm recuperating fairly well. Besides some exhaustion and pain, I'm having trouble with my legs. I have twitchy leg muscles and cramping calfs especially at night when I should be sleeping. I tried stretching, bananas (for the potassium) and walking more, but it seems to be getting worse. My first post op appt isn't until Friday (today is Monday). Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Cramping Calfs

Hi ((Travel)), please call your dr's office and let them know what kind of problem you are having. I'm not trying to alarm you but any type of leg pain like cramping or twitching should be reported. It can be a sign of you having circulation problems. Please call your dr's office today and let us know!
Unread 06-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Cramping Calfs

Hi travelingbug
Welcome to Hystersisters! This almost sounds like Restless Legs Syndrome. Have you heard of that before? Here is a link from resourses on it Restless Leg Syndrome
I have it and it was somewhat worse after surgery. I think you are on the right track with the potassium. I also found that calcium with magnesium helped a lot. The magnesium is as important if not more so than the calcium. I've had really good luck just doing this. Even if its not RLS taking more calcium can help withe cramps in the calves.
I agree you should let your dr know its a problem. There are drugs that are sometimes prescribe too.
Let us know you it goes.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Cramping Calfs

Hi,
I'm back at work for the first time today. I've been out for six weeks. My restless legs have been worse since surgery and I was going to call my doc today. However, friends brought me this article that says a home remedy is to put a bar of Ivory soap under your bottom sheet on your bed. Since reading this, I've had three people tell me this worked for them. Who knows? I'm going to try it tonight! I'll let you know what happens.
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Cramping Calfs

My legs have been very sore, I mentioned it to my doctor today. He said not to worry, probably me being so inactive the last few weeks they are just sore from that. And I find myself squatting instead of bending. That could hurt them too. If I were you I would check on you legs...I'm going to go buy me some bananas today and try that.
Unread 06-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Cramping Calfs

Thanks to all who replied, I've been isolated with two bored kids (15 and 11), who are ready for fun stuff. Sorry! Anyway, I did call my doctor who said that my electrolytes are out of balance due to the surgery. He suggested Pedialyte (much easier on the stomach than Gatorade) and foods like bananas, tomatoes and tomato based foods. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Unread 06-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Cramping Calfs

Ditto on the calcium/magnesium supplement that Rita suggested - I've found that every time I forget mine I start getting the leg cramps and someone had told me way back when that it was the same thing. Make sure you drink plenty of water as well. Hope you're feeling better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register