Cold Flashes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Cold Flashes

I am 34 years old and 4 weeks postop from a total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of tubes and ovaries. I am recovering well after an incision infection 1 week postop. I have heard of women having hot flashes after a hysterectomy but I seem to be cold all the time. There is times I will just shiver and shake and cannot get warm. I am on estradiol (the highest dose I can take according to my doctor).

Is there anything I can do with my "cold flashes?" It is almost 90 degrees here and I want to turn the heat on.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Re: Cold Flashes

I'm so sorry you have to got through this I had that first week but thats it Im sure someone will be by to help with it tc
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:47 AM

I kept my ovaries but they went into shock. I had the hot flashes & night sweats but during the day I also got to where I was freezing. I ended up using a heating blanket on high to get & stay warm. Maybe that would help you? It will get better once your hormones get straightened out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM

I have this too! I never used to have temp issues. I am 8 wks post op now and man, I am either freezing or hot. Hot flashes have increased some, still won't complain about them, as to me they are tolerable, but you are not alone. Think it takes a good year for your body to even out and get used to the new you. I am in my 30's also so I know what you are going through. I have definately noticed an increase in the number of hot/cold flashes I get now that I have reached the 8 wk mark. Hang in there though. If they get too bad some say Effexor works great and I am seriously thinking of going on that before any hormones. I'll let you know how it works if I do go on it. I see my Dr. on Monday.
Unread 09-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Had TVH & TAH BSO on 8/27 (long story) and I get alternating hot flashes and cold flashes. When I get a hot flash I start sweating and feel like my core is on fire. When I get a cold flash, I get chills and shiver and want to wrap up in a blanket. I have been using a heating pad for my kidney and that seems to help during a cold flash (although it's miserable during a hot flash, lol). I'm 31 and wasn't supposed to lose my ovaries. I'm on the patch.
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:10 PM

I definitelyget cold flashes. I don't get hot flashes at all, but I do wake up with night sweats sometimes - mostly because of all the blankets I've piled on the bed! I'm 8 weeks out and they have become less severe, so there's hope.
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:38 AM

I'm feeling like I'm ice cold yet hubby says I feel very warm. I'm exhausted. Four weeks postop today.
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:58 AM

I am having them too! Thanks so much for posting this! I am on a patch now. Week and half since surgery.

I was first unsure if the sensations were due to moving around too much or low blood sugar, but now I think they are cold flashes.
I'm having a damp, cold, clammy feeling with a little bit of shakiness with it. Mostly damp on my arms, upper chest, sides, and back of the neck and head. Very strange feeling!
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:23 AM

I had that same damp feeling about 1.5 weeks postop. I was on a patch and my emotions and damp feeling fluctuated like crazy. I'm on premperin now and my emotions are staying pretty much on an even keel. But this freezing thing is most unpleasant, my skin feels like sand paper and my hair is very dry as well.

You may want to ask your doctor about the pill vs patch as the pill seems to keep the fluctuating and dampness away.

Hope this helps, this site has been a life saver.

Unread 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Me too! I am 3 weeks post op. I am either freezing or sweating. I dress in layers and either add on or take off as needed. I keep sweaters and blankets all over the house 'just in case'. It seems to be getting better though. I hope your does too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register