Should I do radiation and chemo? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I do radiation and chemo? Should I do radiation and chemo?

Unread 11-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Re: Should I do radiation and chemo?

I was told tummy troubles usually start between the 12-15th treatment. Mine started with #5. No, a football field away will not be suitable. If you do have to go to that office, put a change of clothes in your car just in case. (It would be helpful to wear only black pants, so if you do have the change, nobody will notice.) Purchase Immodium and the doc will most likely tell you to take it as needed. (ignore the "do not exceed" instructions)

Eat 1/2 to 1 cup of plain white rice with each meal. Its binding and does help. Gatorade or other sports drinks will help keep you hydrated as well. For me it was the only fluid I could tolerate. The Rain lines have a lighter flavor than the regular line.

Going in tomorrow for a few hours may be helpful in getting you situated for Monday. I did a lot of working from home, mainly because I was BORED, but it made things easier when I went back. It will also give you an idea of the amount of energy its going to take to get through each day. So being called in for tomorrow might not be such a bad thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM

I talked with my boss today and he said that he will not let me work in the other office as he will not subject me to that possible humiliation. So, I will not need to work in the office with the bathroom that is so far away. Nice. Actually, he has gone through chemo, but not radiation so he knows to some degree what I'll be going through. He said he reacted badly to steroids and was very agrivated and not nice to be around when he had it. So he opted to have his on Fridays so he wouldn't be around people other than his family.

I will go in to work for a bit tomorrow. I'm not going to have clients, but I will brain storm a plan with how I am going to handle people. Most importantly, what I am going to tell them about why I have been gone for a month and why I might be in and out for the next month and a half. I am thinking about being straight forward with them.

I think I might make this a new thread in the forum to see what others who have clients have done being I have committed to treament which is the topic of this one. With all of your wonderful thoughts and suggestions I was able to get through that process and on my next phase of action! a BIG for all of you!!
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrluvin66 View Post
I talked with my boss today and he said that he will not let me work in the other office as he will not subject me to that possible humiliation. So, I will not need to work in the office with the bathroom that is so far away. Nice. Actually, he has gone through chemo, but not radiation so he knows to some degree what I'll be going through. He said he reacted badly to steroids and was very agrivated and not nice to be around when he had it. So he opted to have his on Fridays so he wouldn't be around people other than his family.

I will go in to work for a bit tomorrow. I'm not going to have clients, but I will brain storm a plan with how I am going to handle people. Most importantly, what I am going to tell them about why I have been gone for a month and why I might be in and out for the next month and a half. I am thinking about being straight forward with them.

I think I might make this a new thread in the forum to see what others who have clients have done being I have committed to treament which is the topic of this one. With all of your wonderful thoughts and suggestions I was able to get through that process and on my next phase of action! a BIG for all of you!!
Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. Wishing you all the best with your treatments. Sending enormous hugs your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2010, 05:33 AM

Today, I meet my new oncologists that will be doing my radiation and chemo.

This afternoon I get formed, I'm not sure if that's what it's called, but I get casted for my treatments. I think that will be the worst part of what I have to do today. =)

Hyster surgery wise, I am feeling great! No pain. It's nearly impossible not to sweep and mop my floors, but I don't being I don't want to mess up any internal healing still going on.

Unread 11-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Good luck with your appointment today! Will they be doing the first treatment as well?

The molding/cast for me was really easy. They filled a garbage bag with some foaming spray stuff and had me lay on top of the bag. The stuff got really warm, but not burning warm. It just molded itself around my legs.

They also did a marking on both hips and the middle of my pelvis. Some women had tiny tattooed dots. I had marker "x"s with clear stickers over them. This helps the techs align the machine with the target area. I'm not sure if they still do that with the newer machines though.
Unread 11-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Good luck with your treatments. Keep us posted as to how everything is going. Hugs!
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:46 PM

I won't start treatment until either the 22nd or the 29th. He has to map my treatment and my cancer center is grouped with the clinic I had my surgery and my initial oncology consults. (Can we say on here what clinic we go to? Sometimes I am not sure what we are not allowed to share) So he will consult that team to make sure they don't have any other ideas or suggestions. I will get chemo the same day I start radiation.

My medical oncologist was a little concerned about my continual nausea. He gave me some meds and if it doesn't work I will need scans to make sure nothing else is going on. Today is a bad one for nausea and I just took composine (spelling?) so I hope it helps. I'm also very exhausted. He also gave me ativan for nausea. Between the two it shoudl, I HOPE, help.

The casting was a breeze! It was like a bean bag and then they sucked out the air. THe marks were tattood. Didn't hurt. I told them maybe I should go get a big one, and they thought a bigger one might hurt.

A good day, but I'm SUPER tired.

Thanks Vega and Chanel for the well wishes!!! big
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:56 PM

I am not really sure what you can mention and not mention on this site. Does anyone know if you are allowed to say doctor's names, hospital names, or place of treatments? I assume this is a no, no, I have never mentioned it. I do know that you are not allowed to talk about your children in depth.

I am really sorry that you are going through all this. I think it was wise of you to decide on having both chemo and rads. In the long run, you will be better off in preventing/never having a recurrance down the road. Wishing you all the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register