TVH Feeling mental post-op, 10 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling mental post-op, 10 days Feeling mental post-op, 10 days

Unread 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Feeling mental post-op, 10 days

Hi ladies, this is my first post here. I'm 10 days post-op after a TVH. Overall, my physical pain is gone and I'm no longer taking any painkillers. Mostly, I'm having mental anguish! I feel useless and hate not having a routine to follow! I told my employer I'd be back to work at 2 weeks post-op and I'm not sure if I should go back or wait out the whole 4 weeks as my doctor recommended. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Re: Feeling mental post-op, 10 days

I'm with you on the feeling "mental". I'm having very little pain one week after surgery, and bored out of my mind. Personally, though, I'm taking the full four weeks for recovery. Internal healing takes time, and I've got to think that hurrying the process will cause problems for me down the road.
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM

I agree. I'd take the four weeks to really give yourself time to heal. I'm 8 days out, not much pain and bored silly. But better bored than over doing it at work and possibly ending up back on bed rest. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2013, 04:03 PM

That is about the time frame I started feeling bored and restless, I am still feeling that way at 3 weeks. However, I am taking 8 weeks and just enjoying not working. Though I hate my job and am using this time to look for new employment.
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Do what your dr recommends. My one friend "rushed" it and still has problems DECADES later from it. I know that extra two weeks feels like FOREVER....but it is a short time when compared to the damage you could do.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the input! I've decided to take the full four weeks off work. I would be the one to rush through recovery and mess it all up! I feel better mentally today, practicing being grateful! This site has been amazing!
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:18 AM

Good to hear you're taking the time. After being with little pain since my surgery, I was cursed with bleeding and cramps that just started yesterday. Leg cramps are bad. My daughter said I hadn't felt the worse of it yet. Brat. . Best to you.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:44 AM

You only have ONE chance to heal properly. Even if you feel ok at 2 weeks, it's too soon to go back to work. I know the "mental" feeling; I'm going cabin crazy, and there's only so many Sudoku puzzles I can do in a day.

Today is my 2 week date. I still need to get up and down slowly from a chair or bed. And walking is also slow. I don't even fit into my dress pants, and I'm certainly not going to show up at the office in my fuzzy slippers and bathrobe! I also don't have the funds to go and buy new clothes just for a short period while my belly is swelly.

I'm very lucky...my work gave me a laptop to take home, so I can stay connected to work via email, and I'm able to take care of little things from home. (but I have no benefits, so I'm not getting paid for any of my time off).

My health and well being is not worth risking by going back to work too soon. I figure I'll be back at around the 4 week mark, but then only part-time (mornings) until the swelling and fatigue are better.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:41 PM

I envy your focus! I don't think I could do a puzzle right now if I tried!

I'm starting to grasp the concept of putting my health and wellness over worrying about the burden I'm putting on my coworkers and family members. Especially financially. **groan**
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Yikes! I haven't had the leg cramps, but I'm feeling it in my rib cage and back a little bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register